Lazair Hanger

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby daffy1029 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:17 am

Hi Lazair owners,
I am currently trying to build a Lazair hanger out of wood, that can be transported to any field. We all know how important hangers are for our birds.
The hanger easily extends the life of a Lazair by many years, good security (nobody poking at it, trying out the seat etc.), protection from severe weather, and a place to do minor work on the plane.
By the following pictures, you can get my idea of how I am building my hanger, to be extra strong for transportation. I plan to lift up one end with two jack-alls. I would then slide an axle underneath and fasten to frame. I would then remove the jack-alls and lift up the front end and add a tongue. Before doing this, I would place a post to support where the axle is, to the truss. and one more post further down for extra support. The box where the tail sits in will be removed, and hopefully it will fit inside the hanger during tranportation (Lazair would have to be dismantled and placed in it's own trailer or be flown to its new site). The hanger in transport mode will be 40 ft. long x 8 ft. wide (I will have a plywood floor in this hanger).
For longer distances, I would hire someone with a long trailer and just skid it on.
At the field, you would set it up and level the hanger, then tie it down to ensure the wind won't blow it over. I will have a tie down bracket on each corner for this purpose.
I plan to build hanger doors that stay with the hanger, in a folding accordion style.
I am going to post a few pictures.
If you have any ideas or comments, please let me know, Thanks, Daffy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:39 am

Here's a nother view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:54 pm

Daffy,

Your new hangar looks better built than most of the huge new houses they are building around here!

During my quick visit to Sun n' Fun in Florida this spring, I ran across a company that was selling transportable hangers that you can trailer from airport to airport. They were all metal, and of course, not cheap.

Looking at your project, I got to thinking that you might be able to find an old mobile home that's all used up. The frame might be perfect for your project, and they are all ready set up for installation of an axle, and towing.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:06 pm

Hi Chappy,
All I need is the trailer wheels from a mobile home, as the wood frame, on my hanger, would be strong enough to support the building. I would only pull it slow, maybe 30 miles per hour. My guess on the weight of the building would be 4,000 to 5,000 lbs. when finished. So it shouldn't take much to tie it down at the new field.
I am curious about something else. Do you have those capstrips on the top of your wings? Is this a really good thing to have on the Lazair? Thanks
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:55 am

G'day daffy i really like the concept you have for your hanger. i'd like to do something similar here but i think i would make it from steel frame and cover it with colourbond this is the way they make garages and sheds here. i suppose they use this method there as well it would be heaps lighter and compared to the price of timber here it would be at least half the price. a double garage in this material is around 3500 in kit. how would the timber stand up to weather sitting so close to the ground? i like the idea of the doghouse to fit the tail in. another cheap version now that i've seen your idea would be a 40" shipping container and cut the side out and fit the doors. a bit heavy but easy to move with a truck fitted with a side loader B) . there are hundreds of these just down the road from me at the port. you can pick up a second hand one for about a $1000.00 aud
good idea daffy it's got me thinking thanks ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:03 pm

Hi Ozzie,
A container would be a great way to do it! Chop out the front for a door, and back for the tail. Good way to go. Being heavy means it is less likely to tip over. A great place to keep your "new" Lazair eh?
My bottom frame is all treated lumber. So sitting on the ground should be ok. I am finding, by building it out of wood, takes more time and labour than I thought. But I think it will pay off in the long run. :)
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:32 pm

daffy1029 @ Jul 11 2005, 10:06 PM wrote: Hi Chappy,
<snip>
I am curious about something else. Do you have those capstrips on the top of your wings? Is this a really good thing to have on the Lazair? Thanks
Daffy

Daffy,

No I don't, as they are generally not needed with the tapes originally used with the Mylar covering system, and rubber based adhesives. If you have Tedlar covering, you probably had acrylic adhesive tapes, and should consider adding the top rib caps if you see any separations, or have any lack of confidence in the foam attachment tape you used. Refer to Lazair Technical updates Number 8 and 9 for more information on this topic.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:44 pm

Daffy,

Years ago I looked into shipping containers for sale here in Virginia. At the time, you could get them in Steel, Aluminum or fiberglass. All were kind of beat up, and the steel ones somewhat rusted, but they were pretty affordable, especially the steel ones. I've been thinking about them recently, as I will be moving before too long and want to keep a large portion of the hardware and materials (junk to most people) I've collected over the years. I was thinking I could pack up one of the container and not worry so much about the weight (only the cost). Then I could convert it to a Lazair hangar afterwords. I would really like an aluminum one if I could find a decent one at an affordable price. I think the ones available around here come out of Baltimore, Maryland.

An old series one owner in Richmond, VA used to keep his Lazair in a shipping container, but he just let half of one wing stick out. First good snow, and he had one wing on the ground and a buckled lift strut.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Return to Pilots Lounge