Ground Handleing

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby art » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:03 pm

and this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
art
LazairNUT

Postby art » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:06 pm

These are all Richard. My wife mistook some trees for me. this might be me in the weeds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
art
LazairNUT

Postby art » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:16 pm

By the way, if your going to chop down weeds with your Lazair, make sure they are not wild parsnips. If the juice gets on you you break out in blisters and it take weeks for it to go away. Guess how I now know that. Richard left for a 2 week vacation , so I'll be picking up A-961 after the first of August and continue my ground handling adventure. And I'll have a fully charged video camera this time. Thanks Richard and All. Art
art
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:54 pm

So Art, what you think. Lazair a nosedragger or taildragger ? Heck nobody really knows here.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:01 pm

That Strip really narrow for someone trying to learn Series III handling. Should be twice as wide. Object is to keep the plane out the weeds and keep from hurting it. Nice looking plane, would be a shame to goof it up any.

Postby art » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:52 pm

Yes the strip is narrow. We were going to take it to Argyle airport but left engine was acting up. Richard took care of that after I left. Remember I bought this Plane three months ago, but this guy is getting it in top shape and asking nothing in return. If every Lazair guy is half the person he is I'm in some great company. I hope I can come close to being the person he is. I doubt it. But I'll try.

I guess it's a tail dragger but can someone tell me why? It seems as a tricycle gear it would be a little easier to handle. Was /is there an engineering reason they made it a taildragger? Art
art
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:51 pm

Art,

ALL Lazair's designed and sold by Ultraflight were taildraggers. My very early series one was designed with two tall main gear wheels, and a small metal skid on the bottom of each tail. After all, they were originally meant to be simple, light weight, low powered Ultralight motor gliders. Although they were designed to be taildraggers, Dale Kramer kept the main axle rather near the center of gravity (CG) to help make the ground handling easier, since no rudder pedals were fitted to facilitate ground control. By placing the main gear near the CG, you don't end up with a lot of mass behind the axle that can get swinging back and forth that could get away from a low time pilot. Again, that was important without rudder pedal controls.

Unfortunately, owners started flipping their early Lazair's over when landing in taller grass, either due to engine problems or just landing out for fun. The grass would grab the undercarriage, and either the elevators didn't have enough authority to keep the tail down, or owner's didn't use enough elevator to counteract the drag created from the grass, so planes went up on their noses, and some flipped over.

In an attempt to help keep this from happening, nose wheels were added. They aren't intended to be nose wheels in the traditional sense. The CG didn't change. They were intended to act as "rolling skids". They keep the nose from dropping too low, and from digging in. It is, however, still possible to flip a Lazair over, even with these nose skid wheels installed, if you are unlucky enough to land, say, in a new corn field with high furrows - if you have to land across them.

The series III was a redesign where the axle was moved forward and widened, brake were added, the lower stick replaced the overhead one, and a little more room for pilots to fit. In other words, a more conventional taildragger airplane configuration that meshed well with the Rotax 185 and larger engines that would be fitted later on.

If you do a search here, you should find other discussions about correct CG, how to check for it, and a little about an aftermarket kit that was once available to add a steerable nose wheel and lower stick, etc. to series I & II Lazairs.

Chappy, Lazair #25
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:09 pm

Art,

Darn, I forgot to put the most important thing in my first reply:

That's a pretty Lazair. You really, really shouldn't be trying to check out in it on such a narrow strip. That's very risky! Get it flown or trailered somewhere much more forgiving. Please read the sad story to follow.

The first fellow that purchased a Lazair kit from me back in 1982 flew a wing into a tree while landing on a narrow strip. He was fine; the plane minimally damaged. Several months later he did it again. The first time he lucked out. The second time he didn't. He died on the way to the hospital.

Please move the plane. We want to keep you here on this group!

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:23 pm

Can't believe guy who knows how to fly a Lazair would let a new guy play around on that narrow strip. Looks plenty long enough. All he needs to do is mow down the sides real good and make the strip 2X wider. Also tree line is close to side so no flights if wind is blowing.

Postby art » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:25 pm

Thanks Chappy.

Unregistered,
I explained why the plane couldn't go to the airport. This Kind and Generous guy cut a strip wide enough for him, an experienced pilot, to get the plane to the airport.But this couldn't be done safely, so I did a couple of taxi runs down the strip with Richard close behind. This guy owes me nothing! If something is going to be said to offend him, please register. I may have exagerated the weed wacking to much. Blame me not him. He stopped me as soon as he saw it getting a little "crazy". I don't want to offend anyone either. But t's probably obvious that I respect this guy (Rchard) greatly. Thanks for your concerns, though. Art
art
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Lazair - General