Rotax 185 CDI Conversion...easy!

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby lazairiii » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:17 pm

I'd be willing to bet that there are more, but like me they are missing some details about exactly what you are offering.

Are you saying that you can provide a CDI unit that will replicate the Wild-Fire version and also give us a 12 volt power supply to boot?

If so, then I'd personally like details, as several have tried this through the years with no success. Not to cast a shadow of doubt what so ever, just as a fact. If you can do it, I'm all ears. Just like RayJB, we all sat back and let him take the financial risk and it now works perfectly, so if you can prove to the forum that your's will do the same, then I'd bet you will get more takers. I know there is a minimum qty you need to do it, but I think you need to prove the concept to win over the crowd.

Again, what is the possible cost for each unit? And what is included with the package?

Just an opinion,
George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:45 pm

I think that this is a great opportunity to help us all get our engines where we want them, as reliable as the rest of the aircraft, by eliminating the weaknesses.

If you could get some pictures of those parts with some part numbers etc, we could document the process just like I did with my Wildfire install.

I knew all along it could be done for as cheap as you say, it was just a case of going through the actual development of installing these parts on an engine with a tach, and proving that it works as well or better than points.

I will help you document it here if you can do a trial install on a Rotax 185 and give the details on how to install it and see what RPM performance we get from it, before and after the install.

Then you will get more buy in for a bulk order, once its shown to work successfully.

Nobody likes pull starting their engine like a gorilla to get it going when the points are not quite in perfect shape, so Im sure you will get a good response once the testing is complete, especially if you can get the price in at $100/engine like I suggested.

The only part I was not able to source is the ignition coil that powers the CDI unit.

I was able to find a CDI unit for about $60, and the rest of the parts are exisiting modified stock parts.

Find me a source for that coil and we are in business!!! I'll even test it on one of my engines to prove it works as well as the Wildfire kit.

It was not clear whether you had a source for that coil or not....the one that sits under the flywheel and powers the CDI unit (Not the lighting coil)
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:50 pm

Also, please varify that the existing Mag Cup will work with your new and improved set-up. Ray needed to replace his with one from Wildfire due to the fact that the CDI unit changed the position of the timing quite a bit...this is very important!

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby crazyneosimpson » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. This does replace the wildfire kit and give 12v power as well.
The ignition system is two pieces, the CDI high tension coil (Ducati 2 conection system) and the ignitor coil (located inside the flywheel).
The lighting coil is seperate and upgrades to 12 volts.
This ignition setup is for replacement of points in scooters, you do not need to change or rotate the flywheel. I have had to elongate the holes on a stator plate before to get the corect timing.
I don't have a 185 rotax here, I use the CDI's to convert 377's and 447's but I use a different ignitor coil, that is why this is a special order for me and I always have to order by the box, meaning I can't just get one to send out and try.
I have a long standing relationship with this manufacturer from my work with scooters, I think he only still supplys me because he can't understand why anyone would give up the "lucrative" scooter industry for aeroplanes that don't even have doors!
Don't use a P200 coil($60) they are Ducati 3 conection.
I'll stand by my price of us$100 as long as I'm not ordering a box only to sell two.
I'll see what I can do about a picture, they might have an old brochure.
Carl
crazyneosimpson
Lazair.com Member

Postby Chappy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:57 pm

Carl,

What's your plan to confirm your set-up will work on the 185? Where are you located? Maybe someone on this group isn't too far from you and would be willing to work with you to check fit and function.

If you can do that, I will go for a pair. If I'm satisfied with them, I'll probably buy another pair. How many coils are in the box you mentioned (or how many "orders" do you need to commit on a purchase)?

Are the 12 volt lighting coils part of the $100 deal, or will they be extra? If so, what will they cost?

Chappy in Virginia
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby crazyneosimpson » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:20 pm

Chappy,
I'm in Sydney Australia! And really wish there were more Lazairs here.
Rayjb60 measured the flywheel and coil to confirm it is the "90mm BOSCH system", so these fit.
I use the same system to power 377's just a larger ignitor coil. Function?
I have a 447 arriving in my workshop today that I'm supposed to have done in just over a week, thats why I'm ordering now, I need to get a dozen, if it is included with my order then 4 engines worth is ok.
Lighting coils will be $30 extra, delivered.
These things are for so many different motor scooters up to about 1986 models and earlier, these are only difficult to get in Aus because we don't have many scooters, we all drive large family cars. TGB, peugeot, motori scooters all used these for years.
Carl
crazyneosimpson
Lazair.com Member

Postby Chappy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:25 pm

Carl,

Too bad that Ozzie (Steve Robards) on the list here, obviously also from Australia, doesn't have any 185's, as I bet he would have been interested in getting together with you. He has a series I Lazair he just restored that is still powered by the original modified Pioneer chain saw engines. I don't think too many of the Rotax 185s made it to Australia. Steve's been keeping an eye out for a couple 185's for a while now.

Shipping on a couple kits over to the states wouldn't be too much, would it?

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby artman12us » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:10 pm

Another CDI insallation. Should be able to try it next week. Thanks to all that have shown the way. Especially you Ray.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
artman12us
Popular Lazair Member

Postby ozzie » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:48 am

i haven't been paying much attention to these 185 posts as they aren't much help to me. i got i surprise that Carl says he is from Sydney. so i think we should hook up. really like to look at your lazair. what model is it? seems they keep popping up here and there Carl my number is 0418369841 give me a ring ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:34 am

Art where did you source the CDI systems ?

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info