Serial Numbers

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby russell » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:28 am

This is my first post so I have no idea what I'm doing. Anyhow, all the paperwork I have on my Lazair has a number 52 and another number 9A. I believe it was Chappy that told me that the 52 was the second kit built after the run of the first fifty. I'm not sure I understand that, but the #9A is still a mystery. The number is always on the outside of the envelope (next to my address) of the technical bulletins that Ultraflight would periodically send out. I purchased this kit from Dale in 1980. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Thanks,
Russell Rewis
russell
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:14 pm

Your kit is probably #9A. Any way you can scan and post pictures of the literature showing these numbers ?

Postby Chappy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:54 am

Hi Russel,

I ordered my Lazair at Oshkosh in 1979, the third day or so after Dale began taking orders. It was to be number 12 if I remember correctly. Because of a mix up with a fellow that had worked for Dale for a time (David Foster, who split Ultraflight to work for Denny Franklin selling Hummer Ultralights out of Glen Rock, PA - my mother's hometown), my order slipped, and I ended up with #25, which I finally picked it up at the factory in early March 1980. Dale's first production run of 50 kits sold out the first year (approximately) he was in business, so if you think you have #52 and purchased it in 1980, that sounds reasonable, I think. It wouldn't be kit #9, especially if you purchased it directly from Ultraflight. Number 9 would have been sold at Oshkosh in 1979.

Chappy

PS. Ya, I remember the first time I tried to use this forum, but once you get used to it, it's very nice. If you are signed in when you post, you can use the edit button to correct or modify your posts.
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:10 am

I was wondering if I could scan something and post it, so thanks for mentioning it, (58 yrs. old and caught completely off guard by the computer age).
Chappy, if you received #25 in March of 1980, then it would make sense that mine shipping December 3, 1980 would be #52. But, that still doesn't explain the #9A. I was reading an earlier post by someone who mentioned they had a #12A associated with theirs. Not important, I was just curious...very curious as you can tell. I gotta remember the thing about the cat and what happened to him!

Thanks for th replies,
Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Return to Lazair - General