Identify this aluminum

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby ozzie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:59 am

here is a little bit of info that will help reduce the corrosion problems with mixed metals. i.e steel bolts and alloys. if you have an electrical sytem wire it "above earth" ie isolate all electrical components(lights radios ect) from the airframe with rubber mounts and run earth wire directly to the component and with your engine do not run a earth strap to the airframe let the mounts isolate it and run twin wire from the kill switch one to the kill wire and mount the other on the engine. this will help reduce corrosion and and help eliminate noise on the radio.
also when assembling components wipe some duralac were metals touch and smear some on your bolts on assembly. i also had good results on seaplanes by spraying inside the wings and struts ect with i think it was called ACF50 white tin with purple writing but this stuff is heavy but works a treat.

btw has anyone heard from tyler over the last week he has not answered my email
ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:12 am

George,
I have always associated titanium with super strenght but how is it affected by vibration fatique?

Chappy,
I found the books section on the Spruce web site but could not find the book you mentioned. What catagory is it under?

Gheez Ozzie,
You trying to get me electrocuted!? Just kidding, seriously, I haven't found any corrosion at any mateing points. Seems like the only place there is none!

Thanks to all,
Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:55 am

I've e-mailed Tyler with no responce either. He must be out on meneuvers or something.

Russell, ask Joe at Titanium Joe about this, but Titanium is Titanium and is strong stuff for sure. I'd personally say it would have to be much better at vibration fatugue than aluminum, but that's just an opinion.

Hey, if you're going to have to make them anyway, then why not Titanim. If the little bit extra you will pay for it gives you peace of mind (like it did for me) then it's well worth it!
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:03 pm

George,

Went on Titanium Joe's web site. Lots of different alloys. Which did you use?

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:12 pm

alive and kicking - good thread you have going here! Took a little vacation these past couple of weeks, i'll post a story in the lounge.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:23 pm

Russell,

I'd go for one of these. This is the same 6AL-4V I used for the F-300 and F-301 brackets on my plane. I used .140 Titanium rather than the .125 aluminum for these brackets. You will be absolutely fine with this Titanium for those brackets. Super strong!!!

1 0.0630 10.7500 12.7500 6AL-4V $ 35.44
1 0.0630 10.8750 11.6250 6AL-4V $ 32.69

Here's the link to the exact page these are on.

http://www.titaniumjoe.com/6al4v%20sheet.htm

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:28 pm

Russell,

Series III jockeys will recognize these as the F-300 and F-301 brackets. These are the ones I made out of Titanium. I had to make these as my kit was originally a series II which had the brackets you are now replacing, but I wanted the wide gear, so I had to make these up as part of that conversion. So your brackets will be easy to make up and install.

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:18 pm

Russel,

The link should take you right to the catalog page with the book. It's part number 13-11400, $23.95 plus shipping.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/b ... achdbk.php

Someday I hope I get to see George's Lazair. It must be the nicest one ever built!

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:20 am

George,
Yeah, piece of mind is important to me also. The less knowledge I have about something, the more concern I have. So I will opt for the titanium, I'd rather overkill than be killed. By the way, nice looking brackets.

Chappy,
Well, there it is. Must have zoomed right by it. Sometimes I have to have my nose rubbed in it. I need all the help I can get, so I'll be ordering the book. Saw several others I am interested in.

Check out the floor of his shop, I can hardly see mine.

Thanks all for the assistance,
Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Re-Building tips and info