The fun never stops

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby gdewsbury » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:42 am

:( Looks like my flying season is over. On Sunday my brother got in a nice flight. Unfortunatly after an hour and a half of flying with lost of take offs and landings he finished by fliping the plane during the landing roll. :angry: The good thing is that he didn't break him self, just a bit of bruising where the seat belt caught. Didn't look good with the plane on it's back and the tips bent up. Broken props and tubes of course. All very disheartening. I know what I'll be doing this winter. sigh
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:46 am

Oh no!!! Sorry to hear about this, but good he's OK. Well, one good thing is that you have a Lazair, and it's repairable. Maybe it's done for the year, but not headed to the scrap yard. Take this opportunity to do any upgrades and mods that can be done and have it ready for next sping.

Good luck,
George Curtis
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:09 am

Sounds like its time for your brother to learn how to fix/build a Lazair, and then get his own.....after he has helped repair yours of course.

Its a labor of love, and so when you get her flying again, you will no doubt guard her jealously, and want to keep her all to yourself.

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:04 pm

Sorry to hear about the mishap, but glad he's alright.

I am curious: I hope to start the conversion of my project plane to wide track gear, and was wondering if yours is wide track with or without a nosewheel?
I have nosegear on my series 2, and have sometimes gone over on a wing due to crosswinds. On a series 3 with no wheel up front, is it liklier to dig in and flip?
Is it a wise decision to keep the nosewheel on? I figure that because it sits higher up, the tail can get that much higher in the air and let it dig in. I also guess that a smooth rounded pod in front would let it slide instead of dig in.

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:11 pm

Hi flyalaz,
If I remember right, the wide gear is also moved ahead from where the narrow gear was. Thus placing more weight on the tail. So you will find it works better to prevent nosing over, although it can still happen. My Lazair was once a narrow gear set-up and I found it to be much better handling after the conversion. I almost nosed it over once when I applied the brakes too hard, but my enclosure saved me that time. :blink: My stupidity in that case.
I wouldn't bother with the nose wheel. I think most Lazairs with the wide gear, don't have the nose wheel. ;)
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Return to Re-Building tips and info