Ultralight Engine failure on Take off

Add your Movies of LAZAIRS here !!

Postby xgary » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:20 am

We all done it -- this guy paid for it though.

Crash on Takoff
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:49 pm

Shorty,

Another reason to like having two motors...

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:04 pm

A classic example of people trusting their 2-cycle motors.
As every ultralight flyer should know- Rule #1, never trust your engines!
I wish the pilot a speedy recovery. Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:00 pm

Must be a self taught "pilot" - watch what he does with the stick after the engine Quit! Some proper training might have saved him from this accident.

It is a very graphic video, though. Glad they cut it off when they did.
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:20 pm

It's very doubtful that a hand throw chute or AOA indicator would have helped.

Postby JPXman » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:38 am

i've seen my fair share of small aircraft accidents up close, a lot while they happened before my eyes, and so many had the same leadup (gliding instruction):

1) not taking care to remain within gliding distance of the field in the circuit
2) not having the proper initial response to the emergency

the only reason he didn't pull the stick further back was because he wasn't strong enough!!!! none of his control inputs in roll/yaw were coordinated, and his first reaction was to stand on the rudders with both feet and pull back as hard as he could... the road was right beside those trees ironically, and the trees spit him out right back on the road as if to say "dumbass you should have forced landed there"
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:16 am

Clear cut case of Pilot Error. This guy was doing what I call "flying the engine". As long as the engine is running he is fine. The moment the engine quits he's in real trouble because of the position he has placed himself in. As you can see he made a "hot dog" take-off with steep climb-out at slow speed and in a banking turn too boot. We all know stall speed increases with bank angle...right ??? The plane is right above stall speed the whole time. When the engine quits the plane immediately stalls and as Tyler mentioned he failed to put in the proper control inputs. In this type of aircraft (looks like a Quick) you must immediately dump the stick forward if you have engine failure. Probably would not have done this guy any good as he was already too low and slow. Chute would not have helped him most likely as there was absolutely no reaction or deployment time.

Here you can see the airstrip where the incident happened. He should have been flying straight ahead climbing to altitude.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image. ... h+carolina

Story Here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/s ... 1982c.html

If this guy had been flying a Lazair he probably would have faired much better !!!! Could you get yourself in this same situation with a Lazair if you are careless ? Absolutely !!!!!
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby MusicMan » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:43 pm

I read the artical the guy wrote along with this video, he said he had another 2000 feet of runway from where he turned out. The other thing he said was that day they were going to tweak his carc, because he could only get something like 5400 out of it, but the books he brought with were for a different carb, so they didn't mess with it, so he decided to go fly for awhile, it was a short while............... with 2000 more feet of runway in front of him had he not turned out over hostile territory with an engine he KNEW was not running right...............
HMMMMMMMMM
MusicMan

Postby ozzie » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:22 am

my old condor was cable braced it had 4 times the amount of drag of a strut braced version. when the engine stopped on it you had to jam the nose down a to maintain enough airspeed to manourver and flare if you tried to flat glide it just slamed into the ground. quicksilvers and drifters were the same. that guy was lucky the engine did not come thru and take his head off. never did like pushers for that reason. ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:18 pm

The first thing my instructor stressed was that when the engine goes-push stick forward, and he took sadistic pleasure in cutting power at the most unexpected times as often as he could. Hand in hand with that went to always be looking for two landing sites, no matter where you are. I found it to be great training, even if it was a little clenching at times, it was great conditioning. If I am going somewhere, I'll keep one spot near me and look forward for the next. Even if it means a meandering flight, so what, I am in a Lazair for the view, and to take my time and enjoy what God has placed before me!

K
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Return to Lazair movies