Mylar

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:02 am

Shannon @ Oct 3 2005, 05:36 PM wrote: Ola the guy who made did all this research on the different coverings is Steve Butcher. If you read the earlier posts made by him you know he was looking for original type Mylar for his Invader Mark IIIB project. If you want to get with him for more information you should go over to the Invader Yahoo group, Here at :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Invader_MarkIII/

Shannon

thanks shannon.

ola.

Postby russell » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:49 am

Sorry to break everyone's train of thought but earlier Ozzie mentioned using steam and something called Citrasolve. Ozzie, could you go into detail about this process? The best thing I could find is a Scotchbrite pad wet with MEK. Very slow and labor intensive and will make the ribs vanish if not careful.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:07 pm

Russell i found that a small steam cleaner with a pointed detail nozzell was a better way to strip the tape off just play the steam on the end of the tape as you peel it away keep the steam on the tape as it comes away .to remove the glue that didn't remove with the tape i used natural product called citrasolve made from oranges and scotchbrite. the foam tape with the steam and small nylon brush just fell away. just watch the filament tape so you don't damage it there should be a video i made on this site. you can use a small cheap unit from kmart or such you don't need much in pressure 2 bar will do. i used one of my big 8 bar units and it was overkill. this is definatley the safest and healthiest way of doing it. it is also good to clean around the hard to get places. i improved the technique as i went along and it wasn't as messy as when istarted. ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:13 am

Well, Ozzie you made that sound like the cat's meow. I'll definitely give this method a try.

Thanks,
Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Re-Building tips and info