Lazair Kit

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby Lazair_guest_please_registershan » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:09 pm

Hi Chappy,

Well I certainly hope you can get back in the air. I say go for it ! I'm also glad that you are here to share your experiences with everyone. Your unique closeness with Ultraflight brings to light all kinds of information that only you can provide. Extremely neat to read your posts ! Later when I have more time I'd like to ask a few questions about several things you mentioned in your previous posts.

P.S. I have an old video of Dale flying from the beach behind the house. What a blast.

I will second that motion  :)
Lazair_guest_please_registershan

Postby aroguetrader » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:02 pm

Hi Chappy,

It was great to read your posts and get an "insiders" perspective on the Lazair. I've rebuilt 2 KFM direct drive engines for my 2 seater and would certainly be open to any commentary / suggestions....other than replace them with another choice!!...too much $$. (I think I found and purchased some of the last cylinders, pistons and rings avaiable domestically for the 107) The overall rebild process continues, however.

I plan to run with the original 34 X 20 wood props mfg by Tennesee...or at least I think they are original. I wasn't too worried about them being optimally suited for that engine, since the KFM's are likely overpowering the Lazair anyway. Do have any experience with this engine/prop combo that you can share? You mentioned crank issues...should I have concerns?

thanks,
John
aroguetrader
Lazair.com Member

Postby ozzie » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:46 am

hi chappy ,
when i worked for the aussie distributer 1982/83 i saw a super 8 home movie of a factory pilot(unknown) who took off climbed to just over 100' and shot off 4 continuse loops with a wingover on the fifth. blew me right away when i saw it. from your previous comments i take it that the pilot was Dale? i was digging through my t shirt collection (have 200 +) and found my genuine Lazair T Shirt and it still fits just.
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:55 am

"Ossie",

I can't say for sure, but that kind of flying in a Lazair was most likely that of Peter Corley. Peter had a history of being the "Bad Boy" at fly-ins, being called on the carpet at Sun'n Fun and Oshkosh in the early years. That's not to say Dale never did aerobatics, just usually not at public events.

One year, I was flying my Series I at Sun 'n Fun. I had left the pattern and had cruised several miles away, just basking in the Flodida sun and warmth. Suddenly, I felt a nudge on my right elbow. Startled, I glanced right to see Peter pulling his wingtip away from my arm, then drop slightly away and below me. He then pulled a loop that ended with his Lazair right back in exactly the same position. To state it another way, he had done a loop with me in the center of it!

Although Peter was (rightfull) known for being a cut up and prankster, he was also an extremely competent pilot. I never witnessed him foul up a maneuver.

If you can still get in your old Lazair T-shirts, you're probably doing better than most of us, that's for sure. It's been a long time since I could wear one, although I have a couple sweatshirts that I can stretch on.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:27 am

John,

The KFM's are nice engines, and the electric start is the way to go on 2-place machines. The KFM cranks are much thicker than some other engines, so that's good. Still, using large, heavy direct driven props to limit engine output and prop noise, as was our practice way back when, is probably not the best way to go. Not only does it beat up the crankshaft from excessive torsional twisting, it doesn't allow the carburators to function properly. My personal feeling is that smaller props are better, and the output should be limited by restricting the throttle bore. Afterall, these engines were designed to operate at fairly high RPMs. Longer props can still be driven fast enough to go supersonic at the tips, or can fatigue near the hubs.

As you probably all ready have noticed, I'm a "Re-drive Guy" when it comes to two strokes. But other people have worked on coming up with solutions for crank problems on the KFM when used in the direct drive mode. The KFM was also used in the Monet Moni motorglider. Someone came up with a neat prop hub assembly that incorporated a shock absorbing material within it. If you search the Moni archives, you should be able to find info on it. Also, I have a friend in Chantilly (also a John) that purchased one of these hubs (probably 15 years ago), so you can probably take a look at it, just let me know. I thought about building something like this too, but I would have done it differently.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:12 pm

Shorty <======Back on patrol
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
How is it going all - looks llike it getting busier here
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Lazair - General