Dale Kramer

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby angelica14709 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:34 pm

Maybe I am looking at it wrong but it looks to me like if you laid it on the table flat, it would hold water?

Don
angelica14709
Lazair.com Member

Postby angelica14709 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:51 pm

The second photo of the center shows the corner up and the third photo shows what looks to be a shadow along the edge. If the edge were turned down I think the dark line would be absent.
angelica14709
Lazair.com Member

Postby JPXman » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:23 am

bevel down? seems to me that would defeat the purpose of the bevel! Turn those babies up so the edge won't wear on the tedlar underneath! And the factory instructions call for a strip of 1/2" double face tape under each capstrip to avoid vibration rubbing between the capstrip and tedlar between rivets.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:15 pm

Interesting posts. I had always thought that the bevels on the cap strips were ment to be installed up. If it's good enough for the factory......

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:28 pm

Shannon,

I have fond memories of the time I spent with your father.

I can not verify your timeline on capstrip usage, however, Peter Lawrence was the prime advocate at UF and he integrated their inclusion as an option on the III. The Lazair has been looped with no capstrips and the Tedlar un-attached to the ribs (yellowed foam tape that lost adhesion). The fabric was, however, tight. I'm not reccomending that it be flown this way but I think the capstrips are a little overplayed. My current Elite obviously has them on, as Elites were sold with them as standard equip.

Peter Lawrence is an unmentioned hero in the Lazair saga. Of all the people I employed over the years, Peter had the most influence on me and the Lazair development. I really miss working with Peter.

Frank Gillade is another person close to my heart and was responsible for many Lazair refinements and production process developments.

Bob, you are in there too and I'd like to get together again someday.

Anyway. the capstips were to be mounted with the bent edges UP.

I don't understand the confusion about this, Peter L would surely have made this very clear in the manuals (Peter L was responsible amazing quality of our manuals as time went on)

Dale

Postby Chappy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:43 pm

Hi Dale,

It sure is special to have you drop in on the group. I've only been here for a year or so myself. So many of the Ultralight lists are just impossible to tolerate, what with all the bickering, flaming, etc, but this, and the YAHOO Lazair groups, are exceptionally well behaved.

I joined the groups hoping to help out new owners if I could. Shannon was all ready doing a teriffic job, I just try to fill in some of the blanks. Another reason was that I felt I was forgetting so much about the machine and the very specially times I had with the Lazair, the owners, and the wonderful people at Ultraflight. By participating here, when I can, it helps me remember those times.

I was also a bidder on the Elite you got off of e-bay this summer. I'm a novice at using e-bay, and messed up my bidding. I walked around hopping mad for a week over missing out. Then, when I recently saw the beautiful pictures of you flying that very same Lazair off the lake by your place, I was so happy that it was you who had won the auction!

It would be great to get together sometime. I'm still in Virginia, only a dozen miles from where I lived when I built my first Lazair back in '80.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:02 am

Dale no one can seem to answer this question: what is the pitch of the plastic props ? i need this info for the data sheet to rego my lazair. finally have the ok that it complies from the RA Aus and i am going ahead with the process now. preferred the old method used back in 82. build it, fuel it , fly it!! btw i worked with Murray Strudwick back then when he brought the mk1s into Australia. thanks ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:59 pm

Ozzie maybe some emails back and forth could resolve your question with Lonnie Prince propeLLers@aol.com

Don

Postby ozzie » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:09 am

i'm running out of time so i'll just put down twelve inches of pitch. this was asked by several others before and no one had an answer. ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Billm » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:20 pm

I just went out to the garage and measured my (4) props out of curiosity to check the pitch.
I used a "Robart Model incidence meter" (designed for models but works here) to measure and set a sine plate at 5 degrees to get me in the right zones. I could only measure at 9" and 10" from the center due to constraints of the meter but these are my findings:
At 9" the incidences ran from 12.4 degrees to 15.4 degrees
At 10" they ran from 11.1 degrees to 14.7 degrees
(this was 8 readings at each 9" and 10", 4 props, 2 readings each).
I averaged my readings to figure my pitch.
My calculations show that this gives a pitch of 13.15 inches at 9" and 13.32 inches at 10" so an average pitch is about 13.2".
If you figure 8000RPM engine speed this gives a prop speed of 98 MPH and a tip speed of 666 MPH, pretty darn close to Mach1 I would say!!
I can list all of the raw data if anyone cares (it isn't very pretty, and the props are not consistant- even end to end).
Bill
Billm
Popular Lazair Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lazair - General