[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - early model upgrades

early model upgrades

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby yankeflyer » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:42 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:30 am

Postby xgary » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:39 pm

The problem with those engines is the high rpm you need to get the power

power 10 kw 9000rpm
max rpm 13000 rpm

That is about 13.5 HP at 9k
don't expent that engine to last long cruising a 8000 to 9000 rpm

sound like fun till they puke.

i would bet you could get 15 HP plus fro mthe 185 with some tuned pipes and carbs re jetting and again higher rpms.

PROS vs CONS

Long Life ? OR lotsa power ?
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:37 pm

I wasn't sure about the money I think it worked out to approximately 1050 US funds. I confess I'm not up on the new Euro symbol but I think that's what they were basing the exchange rate on. Point well taken about the pulley to shaft connection. Hopefully though it is threaded and secured by a large gland nut that can accommodate a safety wire, or otherwise be assured of its reliable operation in a tractor configuration.

The weight looked to be just under 15 pounds and there was the electric start and battery to consider and like Shorty pointed out, the RPM does sound high. I'll have to write them and asked if they'll send me a schematic, for possible application to a Lazair engine mount.

Still with the new lubricants that we use these days and high rpm engines that run 10,000 rpm or more have been common for years in the big bikes.

In the final analysis it will come down to how much money I have at the time when the good deal comes.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:09 am

all very neat ideas
new lubricants etc
but synthetics do not store your engine well and inviste moisture .

If you live in dry climate you are better off.

Don't ask me but ask a rotax mechanic.
every rotax guy i know says they like synthetics cause they bring them business. for overhauls. NOT KIDDING.

Up to you though -- many will argue that they are good.

i know what works for me for 30 years and no troubles with mineral oils IF you are using the proper ones and mixtures.
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:10 pm

Mostly right now I'm putting together a list of powerplant options and maybe try to think out-of-the-box little bit - I have a good description of the rotax 185 --
USDA Forest Service Qualified Specification 5100-274C
Engine specifications
Rotax® Model 185cc
Maximum power 10HP(7,46 kW)
Engine 2-cycle, air-cooled, single cylinder with
replaceable cast iron sleeve
Starting system Recoil, with back-up manual rope starter
Ignition system Ducati electronic ignition
Stroke 2.40” (61mm)
Bore 2.44” (62 mm)
Displacement 185cc (11.29 cubic inches)
Lubrication Oil in fuel mixture (24:1)
Rotax 185 with muffler, prop and nacelle..... approx... 34lbs

I still need the weight for the 185 to have a complete description for a side-by-side comparison with the Swedish engine and reduction drive.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:22 pm

Rotax 185 with muffler, prop and nacelle..... approx... 34lbs

Shannon
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby yankeflyer » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:06 pm

10kw 7.46kw

14.96lbs 34lbs

nacelle 2lbs

looks like less weight more power - great upgrade

Is there any experiance with titantium and aluminium used together.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Return to Lazair - General