how to beat the FAA

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby tommyb » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:13 am

this may not affect most of you guys but those of you whom have a pilots licnse may like my ideas, or not.
so you need to log a lot of dual engine time and complex time to get insurance rates down and to build time. but it costs so much money to rent those planes or to own one. well the faa gray area says if you fly an experimental <homebuilt> aircraft you dont need to have a rating for that aircraft so long as you dont take any passengers.
so to that i say the lazair is the perfect platform, most are single seat twins!! so what you need to do now is convert it to a retract and add some IVO electric adjustable props, build your time than get your rating or get your rating than build your time.
so how does one make a lazair a retract?? great solution, make it a amphibious aircraft, now you build time for your sea plane rating also.
oh wait now you need to build turbine time not piston twin time, guess what i’ve already seen done…..
that’s right a plane <a small plane> flying under the power of two R/C (radio control) turbine engines. or at least very small turbines that i’ve seen used in R/C. so that’s right now you build a lazair on amphibian floats with turbine powered engines. i have more ideas but by this time you guys are all most likely thinking im crazy so i’ll stop here.

but hopefully you guys see where im going the possibilities are endless
tommyb
Popular Lazair Member

Postby rayjb60 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:08 pm

They have turbines for sailplanes now, a pair of these babies that produce 120 lbs thrust each will put a Lazair into a whole new realm.....just dont melt your coverings.

Sailplane Turbine

AMT Jet Turbines

Jet Sailplane Airshow Flight

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby tommyb » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:36 pm

so how much do these things costs? i already have an idea for a solution on the heat. Its a tall or extended mount that would place the engine well above the wing and that a strip or 2 of the 100 mph tape should due to protect the wing covering. jet A aka diesel should not harm the fabric, mylar or tedlar as its less corrosive than gasoline
t
tommyb
Popular Lazair Member

Postby ozzie » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:36 am

:( i'd love to have a pair of them on my lazair but while going thru the aussie regs to put my lazair on the register it it had a whole short section on them. quote : no jet or turbine/prop ultralights. unquote. bugger !! when you think of the cost of replacing a pair of rotaxes. with the piston engines available set up with mounts props redrives be not much change from 8/9grand. for just a little bit more you could have the neatest sounding lazair on the block. The rulz also say no twin engines either but the lazairs here were flying long before the rulz were writ.
one aussie who flew into the annual flyin with a highley modified lazair with 4 pioneers on it was asked to leave put it in the shed and don't fly it again. the owner ended up taking it home to portigule so i think not best to put jets on my lazair. i thought that to push the rulz i would take a 8 bar 5 ltr steam boiler from one of my work machines and turn it into a RATO set up properley you could get a heap of thrust for at least 10seconds just remember to unplug it before you taxi out. take off, adopt a reasonable climb angle and open the valve. it wil look and sound like the shuttle. so who crazy B) ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:21 am

Jack McCornack the designer of the Pterodactl line of ultralights now has twin turbines on his Ascender. Turbines suck down an incredible amount of gas, so a 5 gal tank probably gets about 1 hr of flight time maximum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:21 am

Here's a close up. By the way, that's not Jack in the photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:39 am

Funny thing that you are trying to build twin time, and I want to legaly fly my two-place without a twin rating! Different strokes for different folks I guess.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby tommyb » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:17 pm

well im not looking to build time for anything yet im just speculating possibilities. but it sure would be nice to have logged twin time at 3 gal/hr rather than the alternative of 30. if your a licensed pilot i would go talk to a faa guy or dar they should be able to give you an answer about the twin ul and flying it legally. i think there is some kind of gray area pertaining to either engine or aircraft size. i know as an experimental u need to have a ticket to take some one but you can fly anything by yourself.
tommyb
Popular Lazair Member

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:26 pm

Yea I've got my commerical license for both single engine complex aircraft and for helicopters, I don't have the twin rating. As for ultralights, it can have 47 engines on it as long as it meets all parts of FAR part 103. The two-place automatically doesn't because it's a two seater and over the 254 weight limit. If it were registered with the FAA as an ELSA, it may be possible to obtain a variance to operate it. I am in the process of working on that right now.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby tommyb » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:00 pm

I've got my commerical license for both single engine and for helicopters :D
tommyb
Popular Lazair Member

Next

Return to Lazair - General