Getting from A to B

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby KeithF » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:00 am

What options have people used in trying to either trailler, or even just plain DRAG the fuselage of a Lazair?

We've purchased one some 800km from us, over a mountain range, and are wondering on the most cost effective, possibly permenant way to get it around.

Any help would be appreciated.

Right now ideas include:

Towing the plane itself backwards, perhaps changing out the wheels for some highway-rated trailler tires, and attaching a hitch to the tail of the craft.

Putting the front of the plane on a wheeled-dolly, and doing the same as above^^

OR, purchasing a large trailler, either enclosed or flatbed.

Thanks!
KeithF

Postby rayjb60 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:30 pm

OMG, dont even think of towing the Lazair on its own wheels, that is just bad juju and will likely lead to something failing and the complete destruction of the bird.

The only way to trailer a Lazair without damaging it is to have it securely tucked inside an enclosed trailer.....which also doubles as its hanger if you dont fly a lot.

An open trailer might be do-able but you better make sure everything is well secured and craddled so no damage is done.

Most people have built their own custom trailers.

Ray

You might need to borrow one, or rent a 20' Uhaul just to get the thing home for now.
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby tommyb » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:31 pm

or better yet fly it home since thats the way they were intended to travel. :blink:
tommyb
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Billm » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:49 pm

Keith
Where do you live and where is the Lazair?
I have a VERY heavy duty Lazair trailer which requires something bigger than my mini-van to tow safely and am in the process of making one that my MG Midget can tow. The big one may be for sale shortly.
I am in Washington state near Seattle.
Bill
Billm
Popular Lazair Member

Return to Lazair - General