Pterodactyl For Sale

Listings for Ultralights for sale as well as Homebuilt Aircraft. Post your info, pictures Contact info. This service is Free to All Aviation lovers.

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:06 am

I've got a Pterodactyl Ascender II for sale here in Cape Cod, Mass. It’s previous owner was an older gentleman who had a stroke. Because of that, I know very little about it's past. However, I spent two years restoring it. I replaced all of the hardware and replaced some tubing. I also installed a new fiberglass spring rod landing gear modification. The nose gear is steerable and has the bungee cord for suspension.
The engine was removed and the top end was decarbonized and the head gaskets were replaced. It has a single Mikuni carb, and despite the unknown hours, it's been 35 hours later and it purrs like a kitten. Solid temps. I cruise at 35 mph indicated and the rpm is only 3900. It had a 54x27 wood prop, but it now has a Warp Drive ground adjustable pitch prop with a 2:1 belt reduction.
I rebuilt the canard with all new materials and gussets to make it stronger and then I covered it with the Polyfiber process. You will see from the pictures that I “scalloped” the trailing edge so it would look like the main wing. I installed a max flight deck instrument panel from CPS with rpm, egt, and cht gauges. There is also an altimeter, Ball variometer, Hall airspeed indicator, and an OAT gauge. The pics show a gps and gps mount, but I intend to keep that.
The sails are brand new with zero time, but there is one spot of “hangar rash” on the right wing. I have materials for the repair. The original sling seat is included, but I have a brand new cross-county sling seat for it as well. New cables are included for the tip rudders too. There are a few pieces of tubing that need to be replaced, but they are available through DFE Ultralights. I also have all of the stuff sacks for transport/storage and even have a second one for the main wing. The owners and engine manuals included and are dated October of 1982.
This ul is easy to transport on any pick-up truck. No trailer is needed. The only reason that I am selling this is because I just bought a Lazair II that I am restoring.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:07 am

Instrument Pod.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:09 am

Cuyuna 430R with 2:1 reduction. Note: this picture shows the old wooden prop.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:10 am

New cannard before covering.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:14 am

Here's the color of the new sails. I have more pictures if anyone is interested. I'm asking $3,000 US. I have another Cuyuna engine with a reduction and dual carbs that I may throw in to sweeten the deal. I am motivated to sell soon because I need the money to buy a Tedlar kit for my wings.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Fri May 05, 2006 7:54 am

I've dropped the price on this to $2,000 USD. That's a little less than what I've got invested into it.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:18 pm

Hi Dave,

How did the Cuyuna 430 work for you.

Im getting a Kolb Ultrastar with a Cuyuna 430 and wonder how it ran for you?

Still have the spare Cuyuna?
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:52 am

The spare Cuyuna is gone now. I really like the one that is on my pterodactyl. I have a lot of confidence in it and I cruise at 35-40 indicated with just 3800 rpm! Mine is a 430R with a 2:1 reduction. From what I've heard I would stay away from the Cuyuna UL2-02 because they version that was produced specifically for uls was not as reliable.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:26 pm

SOLD

Now for some powerfin props!
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Return to Ultralight, Homebuilt for Sale