JPX Engines

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:09 am

Anyone know of a source of supply for JPX PUL 425 engine parts? I haven't found anything on-line as of yet. I am assuming that J-bird may have some stuff.

Thanks
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:33 pm

"ola, a dude from sweden who has a two seater has a source for the bearings and seals at least - and I'm pretty sure the piston and con rod are standard yamaha or kawi gear..."

I would love to find out who the source is for those seals. Any info on compatible pistons or rings would be great too. I just recently struck a deal for a two place and I am concerned about the JPX engines on it. The previous owner says that they have about 50 hrs on them, but I know that they haven't run since the mid 80's.....ouch. Any info for suitable substitute parts would be a huge help.

If I am not comfortable with the engines I may just sell them off and commit to a different powerplant.

Dave

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:36 pm

"ola, a dude from sweden who has a two seater has a source for the bearings and seals at least - and I'm pretty sure the piston and con rod are standard yamaha or kawi gear..."

I would love to find out who the source is for those seals. Any info on compatible pistons or rings would be great too. I just recently struck a deal for a two place and I am concerned about the JPX engines on it. The previous owner says that they have about 50 hrs on them, but I know that they haven't run since the mid 80's.....ouch. Any info for suitable substitute parts would be a huge help.

If I am not comfortable with the engines I may just sell them off and commit to a different powerplant.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:37 pm

Another pic....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:33 am

let me know if you're going to sell :) i'd love the spare parts.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:56 am

I may be telling you something that you already know but I will anyway. Be careful when selecting a replacement piston. Measure everything that is measureable. For example, Kawasaki makes different pistons for the same engine depending on what the application is. An engine used in the motorcycle has a piston with an offset wrist pin whereas the same engine used in their snowmoblie utilizes a piston without the pin offset. Other than that they are identical.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:14 am

I am beginning to seriously think about a different powerplant. Most likely KFMs or Konig engines.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Bill » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:17 am

JPX... There is an Ultralight Flyer magazine article on the rebuilding of JPX engines... Could someone find the article and post it here? My memory is that it was a very helpful bit of info...

Bill
80's lazair dealer... tennis court builder and volleyball playing elder...
Bill
Lazair.com Member

Postby Bill » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:26 pm

I just found a copy of the Article on JPX engines...

email me if interested.... I can post it too...

bill

Robinsonrecreation@hotmail.com

I also found some articles on the rotax 185

It's been quite abit of fun to crack my old files... they even smell old... not quite like exploring the innards of the pyramids... more like grandmas attic.
Bill
Lazair.com Member

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:40 am

Post it here on the site so everyone can see it. Especialy if there are any part numbers or any information that lead to replacement parts. The company should be supporting their own product, but they'll just blow you off. Unless of course you're willing to drop big bucks on their current model, then they'll love you.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Return to Pilots Lounge