Nylon Bushings

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:41 pm

I have been making significant progress on my fuselage restoration, but I did find a cracked bushing. I believe that it may be the same part number as the B7 bushing on the series III. The Lazair II uses five of these total on the fuse. If I can find some or a suitable replacement, I'd like to change all of them.

Does anyone have any? Perhaps Tyler? I know that you have spare bushings for rudder pedals, I thought that maybe you could enlighten me.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:27 pm

ah the B7 bushing

this is the same bushing that the torque tube on a single seater runs through before it enters the mixer. my best buddy myles was my saviour with this bushing!

I had a sheet of teflon, and myles took it to the machine shop and carved out a brand new bushing for me! too easy. think of doing that option, especially if you want 5 of them.

they also sell rods of teflon in that diameter, and you could get a shop to drill down the centre and slice them up for you!

my dream is to someday make a complete bushing kit for the lazair, we'll see what happens...

Tyler

PS: in this pic is the one we made - it is hand carved with a dremmel tool because i made the new one about 3 times as thick as it was, but after trying to put everything back together again realized that it was that thickness for a reason :) i was able to leave a little bit of beef at the lower end there, as that's where mine had cracked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:29 pm

and this was Shannon's FAR more eloquent mod to increase the bearing surface area on the torque tube. i got this pic 2 weeks after my mod :) better late than never!
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:36 pm

i notice in my series one assembly manual that 2 B7's are used here like in the above photo. maybe there was an error in the series two manual. OZZIE
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:26 pm

According to the Series II manual two B-7's are to be installed (top&bottom) on the fitting F-20.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby russell » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:32 am

My series 1 came with only one nylon donut bushing. I found that after a short time this caused considerable wear on the tube to the point that any further wear could lead to a catastrophic failure of the entire control system. I augmented this design with a small caged needle bearing which included a steel inner sleeve.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:58 pm

Cool. I was pretty sure that it was a B7 bushing. I like the idea of doubling up on them as well. My old man is a gifted machinist and he's going to make some for me out of some 1/4" nylon sheet that he already has. It should be an easy job, but he's already got the material, not to mention stuff like a lathe and milling machine.

I am making good progress so far. Everything in the previous picture is cleaning up real nice except for the 1" angle that's part of the forward wing attach point. There had been a field mouse nest up near the mixing unit and all of the animal waste collected on that angle piece. That waste corroded almost halfway through the aluminum! Needless to say, I replaced that piece with a new one.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:20 am

Series II B-7 arrangement on F-20.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby tommyb » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:23 pm

my 2 cents again, it might be worth it to have your dad make some extrta since other people are going to need them too. i dont have a lazair yet but i might be persuaded to buy some extra parts that i are known to wear.
t
tommyb
Popular Lazair Member

Postby uscgairdale » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:28 pm

My dad is going to make some extra ones. It really isn't a difficult piece to manufacture, the only reason that I didn't make it myself is that I don't already have a 7/8" bit to drill out the stock. In my case, wear wasn't an issue, part of the bushing had cracked near a rivet hole.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Re-Building tips and info