Broken Plastic Wheel

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:40 am

I would prefer to replace it (especialy on a two-place), but has anyone repaired a cracked main wheel on the Lazair? Perhaps by stop drilling the crack and repair it with epoxy. Just curious.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:41 am

Here's the other half....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Dale Kramer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:01 am

Dave,

I'm drawing a blank on the type of plastic we used on the wheel hub right now but I'm sure you will find epoxy won't stick well.

I think you are working on a two place aren't you (?), so I would not try to use these hubs on it as the worst Lazair job is to replace a two place wheel hub (i'm sure you know this).

But all is not lost, I would attempt to use these on a single place, only because I know how scarce these are to replace now.

Stop drill and put large W3S washers under the bolt heads and nuts when reassembling.

On the hole with the crack, make special 1/8 inch thick washers (aluminum) that have their edges rounded and extend at least an inch around the wheel on each side of the bolt.

Ideally, you should make two rings of 1/16 thick aluminum with all the bolt holes match drilled in them. These rings should have their ID and OD very deburred into a smooth radius where the plastic departs contacting the rings.

The crack probably started at the bolt where the plastic rejoined itself after flowing around the bolt. There is little relative loading to make the crack worse if the bolt loads are broadened away from the cracks.

Also, replace the wheel bearings with bearings that have a seal on both sides. I can't believe I decided to saved a few cents and only bought bearings with the seal on one side.

Dale
Dale Kramer
Lazair.com Member

Postby Dale Kramer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:04 am

Thinking more about it, I would make the rings and mount them with 8 new holes between the old ones.

Dale
Dale Kramer
Lazair.com Member

Postby Dale Kramer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:05 am

and I would make the rings out of 7075-T6 aluminum (my favorite)

Dale
Dale Kramer
Lazair.com Member

Postby JPXman » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:58 am

dale you mean like this? i was scratching my head about how to improve the wheel halve mating/mounting and thought of an annular ring around that surface to act like a giant washer. makes sense, but takes a lot of aluminum...

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:58 pm

For $45 CDN I can get a good used one from LAZAIRWRECKS. If this were for a single place, I would repair it, but the extra weight of a two-place on it makes me want a different wheel.

My uncle has some wheels from his old series 2 that got wrecked about 10 years ago or so. Maybe I can talk him into a trade.

I really like the idea of the aluminum ring on the wheel and I will most likely do that mod. I haven't worked with 7075 T6 very much, but I do like it a lot. 2024 T3 is good stuff too.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:38 pm

Dale Kramer @ Nov 22 2005, 09:01 AM wrote: I think you are working on a two place aren't you (?), so I would not try to use these hubs on it as the worst Lazair job is to replace a two place wheel hub (i'm sure you know this).

yep i had to change the wheel on my 2-seater a couple years ago. we must have stood there staring at the plane for over an hour and several beer trying to figure out the easy way to do it... but the only way we figured out was to take the engines and wings and controls for the sticks off and drop the axle... what a pain the ass! of course we only changed the wheel that exploded... and guess what is cracked right now!!!!
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby pittsnut » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:34 pm

Looking for wheel halfs?

Just a thought, but why not just buy "brand new" wheel halfs, I think John still has some left, if not we can get some more made.

Some plastic wheel borrow rims may work.

Let me know.
pittsnut
Popular Lazair Member

Return to Re-Building tips and info