who flies what?

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby yankeflyer » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:20 pm

The engine has 90 lbs. compression, I'm not sure what it is new.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:38 am

Yankeflyer,

Two stroke engines generally have lower compression than four stroke engines. Light duty 2-stroke engines like the chainsaw would be between 100 and 140 psi. If it gets to 80 and lower it will be hard to start and low on power/rpm.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:42 am

Oh yeah, they also have more of a tenancy to have stuck rings, even if they are ran periodically and especially if they sit unused for a time. Naturally this will cause lower compression.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:41 pm

Yankeflyer,

Did some digging. The Pioneer maintenance manual calls for 150 psi

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:24 pm

What is the upper weight limit for an engine run on a lazair today <_<
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:13 pm

Ozzie owns a recentley rebuilt series one upgraded with tundra gear and rudder pedals short tail. still has pioneers. have assembled 6 of the original 20 series one that murray strudwick imported in 1981. also repaired a few. looking forward to retriving more lost lazairs to put back in the air. my favourite aircraft that i have flown over the years. Lazair of course the aussie Thruster TST. that i helped design and certify in the eighties. favourite GA type is the dhc6 twin otter that i have 200 hrs on and another favouite was a Beaver fitted with a garratt tp6 turbine. 50 hrs. taught myself how to fly in 1977 in a stolareo ultralight..
blue skies all ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Oshkosh_Flyer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:03 am

Hello all,

Just discovered your forum. I would like to introduce myself. My name is Mark Lokken. I live in Oshkosh WI. Have been actively involved with EAA since it first moved here in 1970. We moved here in the early 80's so I could work for John Monnett as an engineering technician.
I remember when Dale first brought the Lazair to the Convention. I recall it made quite an impression. Ultra lights were quite crude in comparison. My brothers and I started out with a Hang Loose Chanute type glider. Then we upgraded to a weight shift, foot launch Rotec Quick Silver. The Lazair was quite a major step over the average "ultralites" of the day.
We have an early Lazair. Unfortunately we never got to fly it in its original form. A neighbor bought it from another local flyer. He had disassembled it to use the engine and fuselage part to power an air boat. He gave us the wings. He heard about a project we were working on. As you can see by the attached picture (that is if I figured out how to correctly post it.) we turned it into something else.
What you see is the configuration prior to the latest configuration. It was and still is configured to be powered with a rubber band engine. This picture was taken a couple of years ago. You can probably recognize the Lazar wings and tail. In case you were wondering, yes we did get it off the ground back in 1991. Latest configuration is waiting for enthusiasm and a new rubber band.
Enough about me. I welcome your responses. Please reply with comments or forum educate infractions.
Oshkosh_Flyer
Lazair Newbie

Postby flyalaz » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:59 am

Holy C**p, You have to post some pics!

And welcome to the group!

Blue skies,

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Stickid » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:42 pm

I have tracked down a bit more info on the Lazair I have.I found the registration on Transport Canada site. it was last registered in 1983 and was built in 1981. Serial is listed as A 108 . I assume then it is a series 1 and I am really looking forward to actually seeing it when the snow goes. I am currently building a Zenair CH300 and am hoping that I might be able to get the Lazair going so I can have something to fly and take my time on the Zenair. I will build or find a test stand so I can run the Pioneers up and see what I have there to do but am kind of torn about covering. Lots of info and opinions about that subject.
Stickid
Lazair Newbie

Postby ozzie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:30 pm

g'day ,don't worry to much about the comments you have read on covering material. always turns into a 'this is better than that', best bet is to grab a tedlar and tape kit off Dale while he still has them. this is the easiest and quickest way to get it. i covered mine with mylar to be historically correct in my rebuild. it was hard to find. i ended up lucky to get a roll from someone changing their mind and going tedlar route. if you decide to go mylar and find a source please post it. ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Lazair - General