new Lazairs?

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby tommyb » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:18 pm

Can any one tell me why no one has started to build new Lazairs? Why are we all into 20+ year old machines when some one could just start up the company with series III designs and than continue from there?
tommyb
Popular Lazair Member

Postby pittsnut » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:26 pm

WOW!

Nobody is touching this thread with a ten foot pole.

There was a guy who stated to make, "Snoopy Birds" a Lazair copy, thats all I know. Do not know why Dale stopped, but that would be his story.

I am sure the main reason why no one has started up again, is LIABILITY!!!!

Try getting Manufacturer's Insurance to build Ultralights, good luck. Many a company who has tried has gone into Chapter 11. It's a sad day when insurance and money rule, so I guess we will just have to be satified with our old Lazairs.

I think everone on this site should send a good old Thank You to Dale and his buddies who had the vision and fortitude to follow through with it.

I am delighted to say I fly the best Ultralight ever built and proud to own a Legend.

Soft Landings to all.
pittsnut
Popular Lazair Member

Postby phil » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:40 am

Lets do the math.
#1 The market has changed conciderably Nobodies going to buy a new Lazair kit. The market for that kind of plane is extremley small you would go broke in no time. There are plenty of good used machines out there that can service today's Lazair market at a price that were willing to pay
#2 The market now is geared towards 2 seat plus, four stroke power and is evolving to sportplanes that are already assembled.
People today want instant gratification with no pain of assembly and they want to go faster than 40mph.
#3The Lazair kit 20 years ago was close to 7k. What do you think it would cost now to produce that kit today with escalating metal prices and liability. It would be crazy
#4 There are some very talented individles out here in Lazair land with good intentions who have offer new part reproductions in the past. But i doubt they get many inquires. Just think what it would cost for someone to produce a spar/drag box assembly and make a reasonable profit. 99% of us would not pay it. We would make do with what we can find used or butcher one out ourselves. Face it We Lazairer's are, well I hate to use the word cheap, frugal would probably be more appropriate.
If you had a bunch of money that you wanted to lose faster than at a Vegas crap table. Invest in producing a 2 stroke, low powered single seat "ultralight" especially twin engine. Much too radical for todays flyer.
phil

Postby Lspav8r » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:00 pm

phil @ Jan 11 2006, 12:40 AM wrote: Lets do the math.
#1 The market has changed conciderably Nobodies going to buy a new Lazair kit. The market for that kind of plane is extremley small you would go broke in no time. There are plenty of good used machines out there that can service today's Lazair market at a price that were willing to pay
#2 The market now is geared towards 2 seat plus, four stroke power and is evolving to sportplanes that are already assembled.
People today want instant gratification with no pain of assembly and they want to go faster than 40mph.
#3The Lazair kit 20 years ago was close to 7k. What do you think it would cost now to produce that kit today with escalating metal prices and liability. It would be crazy
#4 There are some very talented individles out here in Lazair land with good intentions who have offer new part reproductions in the past. But i doubt they get many inquires. Just think what it would cost for someone to produce a spar/drag box assembly and make a reasonable profit. 99% of us would not pay it. We would make do with what we can find used or butcher one out ourselves. Face it We Lazairer's are, well I hate to use the word cheap, frugal would probably be more appropriate.
If you had a bunch of money that you wanted to lose faster than at a Vegas crap table. Invest in producing a 2 stroke, low powered single seat "ultralight" especially twin engine. Much too radical for todays flyer.

This post makes me wish I didnt just post my thoughts a few minutes ago whew!
Lspav8r
Lazair.com Member

Postby shorty_ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:44 am

Well, likely it been said before,
Most lazair parts are made still including complete D cells and most wing parts.

Most Lazairs that get crunched badly get bend D cells.

I will make another batch of D cells this year if I get enough response.

I only had 2 left right now but I am keeing them fora Ser3 rebuild that I hope to get to soon.

shorty@lazair.com
Lazair Wing parts, Complete Lazair Wings and D cells .
New or repairs.
shorty_
Lazair.com Member

Return to Lazair - General