New to Lazair

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby Stickid » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:58 am

Hi ... I have just acquired a Lazair and although I have not even been able to see it due to it being snowed in at a club right now,I am trying to get informed about this little beauty. I have been reading through the posts and am basically familiar with it but I have a few questions.I have the engines for it at home and have determined they are PIONEER engines.I am wondering about covering and am considering alternates to Tedlar such as Hipec. I weigh about 130 -135 Lbs. so I was thinking the weight penalty might not be an issue even with the Pioneers.Also what other engine choices that are readily available and not too expensive? Is there a place on this site that will help me determine ( when I can get the trailer out of the snow) exactly what I have? I live in Winnipeg so if there other owners here I would love to get together for coffee/lunch. My email is piney@mts.net if anyone wants to reach me that way. Thanks ..... Bob R
Stickid
Lazair Newbie

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:18 pm

Welcome to the site Bob. I'm certainly not the Lazair expert of the site, we know who they are, but it's sounds like you could have a series I. With your weight you may not need more power, but if you did want more, the Rotax 185 may be the way to go. I weigh 150 and a series III with the 185's shoves me through the air just fine. Take some pictures and post them on here and you'll get an answer fast, at least that's been my experience.

Not to sure about any active Lazairs in the Winnipeg area. Tyler?

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:28 pm

john bergen is your winnipeg man. he and his boss have 3 lazairs in various stages of rebuild. search the site for his name, or on groups.yahoo.com under the group name "lazair" he posts and checks there often.

welcome aboard. i was where you are at right now about 6 years ago and this site and the yahoo group are awesome sources of info.

Tyler
series III and 2-seater
Edmonton, AB
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Stickid » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:42 am

Thanks for the welcome guys...I will post some pictures as soon as I can get the Lazair out of the snow banks. I will try to find John as well. Also, I have been looking at various sites such as ZDZ Engines( R/C engines) some of them are large .. up to 160cc and 9-14 HP approx. weigh about 7lbs. and burn gas. Noy sure about mounting though with carb on the rear.In any case it looks like there are new options although the Rotax seems to be the one in order to keep it original. How much could a guy expect pay for 2 Rotax engines and if they could be found, how about parts?... Thanks again.... Bob R
Stickid
Lazair Newbie

Return to Lazair - General