Spinner retrofit

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby flyalaz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:25 am

Hi Bill,

Seems to me I remember you telling me about that event when we flew in and met at Alexandria with the rest of the "local" gang.
Keeping things true is the reason I want to chuck the assembly on the drill press. Easiest way I can think of to see how it spins. If anything is out of line, it will be visible there, and not when it is installed on the plane and too late to do anything about it.

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:15 pm

Bill,

Yes. When I tap in the pin punch, it locks the threaded end into the spiral wiring used in the cable sleeving. If you look closely you can see the spiral wiring under the black covering. Rock solid.

Karl,

Good idea on the use of a tabbed washer. If I notice these coming loose at all from the LockTite, I'll try the washer next.

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:41 pm

Hey George,

Just to make things easier, what are the part numbers of all the fiddley bits in your throttle runs. I like the way it all looks, and though the ones I have now are good, my other plane is going to need some.

Thanks,
Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:57 pm

Karl,

The part numbers are: Throttle assemblies (1) 12-1242-5095L (1) 12-1242-5095R with the sleeve and cable length at 144 inches (that's 12ft) so I would have plenty for routing and adjustments prior to final cutting to length. I had them put on the ball handles that are part number 30-0127-00. You will need to ask them about the threaded conduit end fittings since I don't have that number handy, and I can't get on their website to find it. Sorry!

Here's a look at the throttle handle end of the assemblies...

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:11 pm

Thanks George, and like usual, another nice clean assembly!

Is it stock under there, or did you make a similar bracket to hold the end fittings as well?
My throttle quad is homemade, and I started to make a cover that will enclose the entire unit, switches and all. One day I'll get it done!

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:31 pm

Stock throttle bracket...but it worked perfectly with these new Wescon throttle assemblies. Here's a look without the cover on.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:45 pm

Perfect! Gave me an idea to make a new quad!

But first I have to finish drilling and fitting spinners. Hee hee!
Onwards and upwards!

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:47 pm

I need to give credit where credit is due since the nice cable cover is a Shannon Whitaker design.

Thanks Shannon,
George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:16 pm

One thing that has been done to mine is the kill switches moved forward, and safety covers added to prevent accidental shut off. It has happened to me, and I got pretty worn out from pulling before I figured it out. (duh) Just need to finish that cover.

The safety covers work opposite from normal. Being toggle switches, the cover down position is run. To be safe, when I leave the plane I always unplug the spark plug caps in case people or kids have wandering fingers and flip the things on.
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:31 pm

As I remember it, the original backing plates started cracking, so Ultraflight upgraded them with thicker ones. Some time later, they started cracking too, so owners were advised to remove the spinners. When a spinner comes off, it can (and has) hit pilots feet. I think the company closed before a solution was offered. I think at least one owner/dealer sold machined plates.

The tech letter refers to the "spun" backing plate, but I thought they were stamped using the huge press that stood in the center of the production floor. I never saw any being made. (The press had been left by the previous tenant.)

Chappy

George,

How did you get that finish on your airframe? Did you polish (and polish and polish) everything, or is it some other finish like bright anodizing? It sure is pretty!
Chappy
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info