My first time here

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby daffy1029 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:44 pm

Just testing to see if this works. I want to show-off my 1981 lazair. s/n 471. Hope the picture shows up. Picture was taken in 1986... :rolleyes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:38 am

Hi Daffy,

Pretty neat picture you have shared with us. Did you originally build this Lazair. I can see that it is an upgraded plane. If the plane was originally built in 1981 then it went through quite a bit of renovation through the years.

What I find interesting about this pic is that the plane has the up-stick and a full enclosure. Never saw this before. Very nice plane. Thanks for posting the pic.

Postby Shannon » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:41 am

Hi Daffy,

Very nice plane. This is the first early model Lazair I've seen that was upgraded to wide gear and full enclosure. Is the plane still around ?
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Chappy » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:20 am

Daffy,

Wow, very nice. I also hope that it's been taken care of and not a victim of an accident. Pictures like yours make me realize how much I still love Lazairs!

Chappy (Lazair #25)
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:49 am

Chappy (Lazair #25- wow!) Yes, this airplane is still around in one piece. It's in an enclosed trailer and the engines have been upgraded to JPX'S since that picture was taken.
You still have your Lazair? I saw one like yours fly into our landing field where we were learning to get our licence and to fly. That was the first time I ever saw a Lazair!! I was so impressed with the way it looked and flew with thoses little pioneer engines! The pilot Rick Cooper was a master(in my eyes) with this Lazair (although I have never seen Peter Corley fly)! I had already bought a Birdman Atlas weightshift ultralight at the time and after about 10-15 hours of flying time I sold it and ordered a Lazair in1981. I took 2 weeks off work and went to work assembling my Lazair. That was all the time I needed to put it together (Of course I had a friend who had built his earlier helped me with mine and the long hours didn't hurt me either). It was so enjoyable to put together!
I have about 150 hours total flying time on this plane (not much eh?). I just might get this bird up in the air again in the near future. Thanks for the interest. :)
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:12 pm

Where are you keeping this plane?

I am (among other side projects) trying to find out as much info on the JPX engine, replacement parts etc... as I can, as I have 2 lazairs powered with JPX's...

Tyler
A925
B007
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:16 pm

Hi JPXman
I just started looking around to see what's been happening with Lazairs and was shocked to learn that there's no place to get parts for the JPX engines! I had great success with mine. So if you find out anything about getting parts, please let me know. I will do the same for you if I find out anything. The only thing I would like to do is rebuild the carbs and get new fuel pumps. How do you like your engines? Had any problems with yours? What's your flight time on 5 us gallons?
I keep the plane in an enclosed trailer in the Edmonton, Alberta area. I lost use to a steel quonset hanger due to a friend's divorce. They sold out. Since then I have been busy building my own home and now would like to get back into flying. Thanks for the interest! I am happy to have found this site.
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:34 pm

I haven't looked for carb parts yet (i'm just getting into the Lazair game as I'm finally almost done rebuilding 2 of them) but I've got a shop in the states set up to make brand new head and base gaskets at about $10US for head and $7US for base. Other than that, just general scrounging for parts and old engines.

On the few flights that i've done, looks like i'll get just shy of 2 hours to fuel exhaustion on 5.5gal, and that's a heavy plane and a heavy pilot (series III at 300 pounds and me at 270 pounds).

>>insert comments on gross weight here<< :)

Tyler
email me: tyler 'at' lazair.com
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:45 pm

Funny,

Here i was looking for pilots in Edmonton, AB, and lazair pilots using JPX engines... what a great website :)

I'm sure you'll all be hearing about Myles and Tylers antics in the future.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Return to Pilots Lounge