Spinner retrofit

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby lazairiii » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:45 pm

Chappy,

I used Met-All and a lot of polishing cloths all by hand to get that shine. You can use Mothers, Flitz or probably a number of other polishes, but just make sure it's compatible with aluminum.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:00 pm

George,

You've done a beautiful job of polishing it up. I had all the tubing anodized when I built my series 1, so basically I only have to keep the wing spars polished up. I used to use Met-All, but luse Blue Magic for that job now. I wonder what metal polishes other people are using?

My III is all painted, which I'm not wild about (although it's helped preserve it). I guess I'll probably just keep it that way when I refurbish it.

One of my customers had all his tubing black anodized on his series II. We thought it would look nice, but I never did like the way the finished plane looked. I wonder if that plane's still around.

Personally, polished planes look the nicest to me.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:35 am

Thanks Chappy. I like the original polished look the best too! It's a little work to keep it shining, but aren't all good things worth it!!

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:51 pm

Thanks George but actually the cover is something my Dad came up with.

Shannon
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:57 pm

Original type throttle quadrants are available from Manufacturers Supply for $8.50 US. Wescon also has them (check George's link above) in several different varieties (Ball type).

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/3-240.html
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby flyalaz » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:09 pm

Hey guys,

Nice sketch Shannon. How is it that you are using metric? Guess your Dad was ahead of his time! LOL!

How thick is the material that you used?

K
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:20 pm

I'm pretty sure I purchased OEM type kill switches from MFG supply also.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/31-4720.html
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby flyalaz » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:49 pm

Even after all these years of living with a metric system, I still can't get used to it. It's nice that you can divide everything by ten, but tell me it's 30 degrees outside and it won't mean a thing. 100 degrees on the other hand tells me I want to have a beer!

Sounds good. Didn't want it to be too thin. With the narrow track gear, I've burned my arms on the tires a good number of times, mainly on the left, and it'll be nice to have something I can feel to let me know how close I'm getting to spinning rubber. :blink:

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby ola » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:04 pm

flyalaz @ Feb 18 2006, 02:49 PM wrote: Even after all these years of living with a metric system, I still can't get used to it. It's nice that you can divide everything by ten, but tell me it's 30 degrees outside and it won't mean a thing. 100 degrees on the other hand tells me I want to have a beer!

Sounds good. Didn't want it to be too thin. With the narrow track gear, I've burned my arms on the tires a good number of times, mainly on the right, and it'll be nice to have something I can feel to let me know how close I'm getting to spinning rubber. :blink:

Karl

that beer is not good,it is boiling !!!!.

ola.
ola
Popular Lazair Member

Postby flyalaz » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:54 pm

That's cheating though. Even numbers. Where's the fun in that? Figuring out how many numbers to put in after the decimal point is half the fun! LOL

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info