Spinner retrofit

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby flyalaz » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:55 pm

That's cheating though. Even numbers. Where's the fun in that? Figuring out how many numbers to put in after the decimal point is half the fun! LOL

Karl

Ooops... tried to edit this one out. Can't delete this second one. How did that happen?
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Bill » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:10 pm

Switches... and rubber switch covers... I have a ton of them... or Don does... I will have to double check... also a lazair prop... strobe...

Contact me for the above..

bill

robinsonrecreation@hotmail.com

Dave... I will give you a set of switches if you email me your Dad's address... or yours..
Bill
Lazair.com Member

Postby flyalaz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:14 pm

Except for the fillers, the first spinner is done.

Notes: Using a scrap spinner for a template worked well to give the cutout locations, but was not accurate enough to locate and drill the holes. Instead, I used a long piece of stiff wire, sharpened and bent at one end, and used it as a scribe from the inside to mark where each hole was. Plenty of space to get in the prop cutout and in between the motor and backplate. Some 1/8" plate was in place to give the proper gap. A back hole finder could probably be made to make this job easier.

Drilling was done in steps to ensure I had properly found the hole centers. Countersinks were done last.

Has anybody tried using Krylon "Fusion" paint for plastic? I was thinking it might work real nice on the spinners. My old ones were painted with an Aero three part mix over epoxy primer, but is very brittle, and when I dinged it once a chip came off primer and all. I think the fusion paint is a little more flexible and less prone to chipping.

Karl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:20 pm

I've used "fusion" paint for plastic projects around the house and in my opinion, it's just like regular spray paint. Maybe Krylon should rename it "Confusion" paint. It will probably work just fine.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:33 pm

You're probably right. Supposedly though, the fusion series is specifically for plastic. I know a lot of lawn chairs are made from that really slippery plastic, and if it adhere's well on that, it should stick well on the spinners which (I believe) has nylon or nylon fibres in the blend.

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:12 pm

Another little tip off the subject,

I like my parts shiny, and If you happen to have an oscillating spindle sander in your shop, the velocity stack fits perfectly over the one inch diameter rubber sleeve. Add some rubbing compound and five minutes is all it'll take to make it look like chrome!

Karl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:15 pm

Oscillating spindle sander
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:19 pm

Before and after
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:28 pm

I've had pretty good luck when first applying "Bulldog" adhesion promoter.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby flyalaz » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:51 am

I'll check a few stores and see if I can find that stuff here in the Great White North.
Decided to change the carb gaskets after all, so after Wildfire I'll go hunting.

K
flyalaz
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info