Rotax Rebuild

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby lazair.com-afraid to register?cr » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:50 pm

Ethanol is far too solvent to be removed from fuel, one of the major issues car companies have brought up is that older cars will have gunk in their tanks that ethanol will dissolve and clog a filter over the period of one tank of fuel.
I like to think there is no gunk in my tanks, so ethanol doesn't bother me!
lazair.com-afraid to register?cr

Postby flyalaz » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:06 pm

Hi Ozzie,

I like that vent valve idea. Have any pictures of your installation? And how hard do you have to huff and puff to get past the valves in the carbs? Is a bowser a jerry can?

Never having those OEM type filters on my plane, I couldn't say how often they need to be changed, or if just back flushing them will clean them out. Maybe you can help out here Shannon?

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:47 pm

Karl,
sorry no photos but the system is very simple. i run the pick lines thru the lid of the plastic container. a 3/8 hose via a grommet. fit a small one way valve. 3 or four puffs in the tank is enough. less fuel in the tank means more puffs. when it gets warm you don't have to huff and puff at all. i also use phesto? quick connect fittings at the tank for easy removal. i'll take a happy snap at the hanger on the weekend. Ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:30 pm

As long as you keep fresh clean fuel the filters are pretty much trouble free.

Shannon
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby flyalaz » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:40 pm

Thanks guys,

Lots of cool stuff in this thread! I think just about everything has been tackled. All that remains now is to hook it all up. With the part numbers from Wescon that George supplied, Spinner Retrofit, (plus threaded ends pn. 21-1064-03, conduit pn.. 415218-00, s/s wire pn. 50302-00, and rubber end caps pn 23-3040-00), my only remaining rant is how all of the control and fuel lines just hang there in the breeze.

When I get to rebuilding my other wings, I would like to try to bury them in a conduit tube inside the bottom surface of the wing. basically having the exact same run except on the inside. The lines could be pulled out for disassembly and trailering, and would be cleaner aerodynamically as well. Nothing would be modified, only the addition of the tube supports. If the run follows the "normal" path, I don't believe there would be any high spot created that could trap air and cause an engine failure, and the exit hole would be aft of the spar so the fuel line and flow could still be visibly checked. Just another idea I was wondering if anybody has ever tried before?
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:27 am

Hi flyalaz,
I did that back in 1985-86, the last time I recovered my Lazair. I ran a short piece of plastic pipe along the spar box from through the rib and up through where the nacelles mount. The plastic pipe is pop-riveted to the face of the spar box with clamps. I run all the lines up to the engines this way. Nothing dangles under the wing. Works really well and looks much cleaner! Daffy :)
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:32 am

Hi Daffy,

You had to realize I was going to ask you for some pictures right? So that's twenty years trouble free! A good record in my books. Also nice to know I'm not alone in wanting to hide the cables in this manner.

Did you encounter any problems adding these tubes? How did you treat the left hand side - the spar box is in line with the carb on that side. The exit fairing is another detail I haven't worked out yet. I was thinking about moulding something really slick for the job. How did you go about it?

Karl

questions, questions, always questions....
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Billm » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:42 pm

OK I have a question (who ever said that there were no dumb questions??)

Has anyone ever considered making (two) custom fuel tanks built into the wing, inside of the big triangle gusset running off of the main spar? A rough guess is that each wing could hold about 2 gallons and there would be no more "gravity" problems in drawing the fuel up from the present location. If the tanks were connected by a small, underwing hose then a mechanical fuel gage could easily be rigged. Any comments?
Bill
Billm
Popular Lazair Member

Postby lazairkid » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:14 pm

Bill,

I was wondering about that myself back last year when I was recovering my wings.
what if you peal the tedlar from the top front root edge of the wing to get your hand in some of the lightening hole, then line the box with something to
eliminate any sharp edges then have a bladder made that you can side thew one of the holes, plum it , and the fill hole could come out of the lightening hole at the top.
Some G.A. aircraft have this bladder in there tanks.
It's just a wild thought.
Lazairkid
lazairkid
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:48 pm

Hi flyalaz,
What ever I did on one side, I did the same thing on the other side. The cables were long enough to reach both engines. I will get some pictures this weekend for you.
I though someone had made a tank inside the spar box, yes, I remember now. That two seater used in the show "The Gods must be Crazy II". I remember him filling the tank on top of the wing. Was it for real? I really don't know.
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info