Lazair Floats

Lets see who know what

Postby huronflyer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:37 pm

Sinking feeling.

I was getting excited about possibility of floats on my Series 3, Rotax 185 (with P-tips), empty wgt c. 250 lbs (pod windscreen), pilot c. 165...

My floats look like a possible bad investment now, paid too much they were cracked (BTW that is fixable could add compartments); theyare the original Ultraflight ones. Looks like they may be TOO small for my series 3, which sucks.

I could really user floats if you could see where I live, but not at the expense of sinking and no climb, the hills around me are over a 1000' high.

I guess the one consolation is the lazair does not sink right away, so if necessary I could ditch near shore. Maybe that is my best route until I can clone Dale's method and afford bigger engines.

Daver
"the other dave" CYEL
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby daver » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:38 am

"daver" kind of nutty nickname, but my son-in-law is David, my neighbour is Dave,
and I decided to toss out ole Dave...besides "daver" is my GTR FIA racing handle(:
Flying the Lazair is too slow on sim!

I am grateful to everyone who has sent encouragement and I hope I have not missed thanking anyone.

Perhaps I will haul my floats down to Mike in Michigan, if I can find the time. There are quite a few float guys around here who may be able to help me.

First, its get C-IIII airborne on my new turf, er water, rocks & trees; you will see I have become slightly more positive adding WATER to rocks & trees. In fact Bill's
comments that a Laz will float has given me a whole new sense of funky confidence. I may not pursue the parachute option as ASAP; rather a May West and perhaps one for the plane too(: Plus a PLT.

I hope to hape a report this weekend, "Gentlemen start your engines" for C-IIII, not the sim car.

daver
daver

Postby JPXman » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:22 pm

dave you saw the picture of my old man when he tipped in lake nipissing? i posted it somewhere here.... i'll bet that's the position a lazair would take if mishandled and the airframe stayed in tact, and i think your face would be above water too, pretty safe ;)

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Bill » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:07 pm

Tyler... My experience with mishaps on floats is anything but safe until the pilot is unseatbelted and separated from a possibly submerged seat. Have you had a mishap on floats?
Bill
Bill
Lazair.com Member

Previous

Return to Lazair Trivia