[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - Torquing the prop bolts

Torquing the prop bolts

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby lazairkid » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:55 pm

Hey guys,
I have a dumb question.
My p-tips props call for 170 in. lb of torque for the bolts.
My torque wrench is in foot pounds.
My convert ion says 170pd/sq in is = to 24 480 pd's/ sq ft.
I'm assuming that 24.5 Pd's per sq/foot

lazairkid :huh: :huh: :unsure:
lazairkid
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:01 pm

Tom,

170 in-lb of force is equal to just over 14 ft-lb of torque.

torque is a distance x force measurement, so when you change from one distance measurement to the other, just convert the inches to feet to get foot-pound. there is no "square inch" in this measurement, that's for area when measuring pressure (psi = pounds per SQUARE inch). there is only the "linear" inch in the torque measurement.

Tyler

PS: how do you plan to hold the wrenches to torque the bolts? there is only one way to get an accurate measurement. its easy if you have the nuts facing forward, because then you simply hold the head with a wrench and torque the nut with the torquewrench. but if it's the head of the bolt that's forward, hold the head with the torquewrench, and turn the nut with a wrench and read the torque off the wrench - DO NOT TURN THE BOLT.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby lazairkid » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:27 pm

Tyler,
The bolts screws straight in to the redrive pulley.
Your right, I was using the wrong measurement
I got 14.166 foot pounds= 170 in. pd

Thanks for the help. B)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazairkid
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:05 pm

Tom!

i hope you haven't torqued those bolts yet, don't you have a crush plate for your props? there should be an aluminum plate that goes over your prop to act as a giant, undeflectable washer so nothing gets "smushed" into your beautiful new props. should be just under the diameter of your hub there.....

and if you're torquing the bolts by turning the bolt, then i'd give it a little extra, because some of the torque you are applying is being lost as friction between the bolt and the prop itself, not all between the bolt and the hub.

please tell me you have crush plates,

Tyler

PS: or is it integral to the propeller and painted the same colour to make it look super jazzy?
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby lazairkid » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:45 pm

It's That round plate with the extra holes in it behind the bolts, and yes it's red too.
I have not torqued them down yet.
I'm moving from Sanford N.C . to Summerville S.C. next month and I want to box them back up so they don't get damaged in the move,
The bolts don't have wire holes ether I was going to lock-tight them in place.
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazairkid
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:52 am

Tom,

Those Solo set-ups are looking real sweet. The red will look nice with the rest of your plane.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby ola » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:06 am

ola
Popular Lazair Member

Postby lazairiii » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:26 pm

lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:22 pm

Google has a great conversion feature....

try this out from www.google.com

in the search box just type in

170 inch pounds to foot pounds

Google spits out

170 inch pounds force = 14.1666667 foot pounds

This handy conversion works for any type of measure you can think of on google.

Just type it in plain english and google is smart enough to figure out the answer for you!!!!!!
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby ola » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:15 am

download this little program it will convert everything !.

http://www.srif.se/Program/convert.exe

clic on spara=save, save it on desktop.
ola
Popular Lazair Member

Return to Lazair - General