Good dream turns ugly

Lets see who know what

Postby russell » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:50 am

Yeah, Chappy, it's unbelievable just how busy I have been. When I decided to take on this project I had no idea how much time and work was involved. I started this thing back in July of last year and I have worked 4 to 6 hours a day Saturday and Sunday every week end except for three. No exageration. I know all you out there are thinking that this is impossible to spend that much time on such a project. I will admit that I am slow (more ways than one) but I swear, I was doing something constructive the whole time, not just standing and admiring the shinny new bolt I just put on.

Thanks for sharing that aileron story with me. That makes me feel a whole lot better. Kinda of humerous too. I did not know that the next models of the plane came with pinned aileron hinge bolts so it's kinda coinsidental because that was one of the changes that I happen to make on mine. I agree about the small ruddervator pushrods even though there is very little pressure put on them. Nothing compared to the ailerons. I plan on replacing them with the larger tubes some time in the future. I did make an improvement to eleveate the wear problem however.

Up, up and away,
Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:00 am

Don, that sounds good. Dale Kramer used to say that the recover process was not a chore and that it only took a couple of weekends to accomplish. Ha! It took me longer than that just to remove the tape adhesive! If anyone out there is in doubt about the integraty of Tedlar and the tape that is used to hold it on, take my word for it, don't. I am like you Don, I had to relocate 5 of the D-cell ribs and lifting the Tedlar enough to do this was a very difficult job.

May or June? Of this year?! You are either Superman or the most optomistic person I know!. Anyway, I hope you can be flying very soon.

May the forces of good fortune be with you,
Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairkid » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:17 am

Hey Russell,
Keep it up your doing good, I have been working on my elite
sence 2001 and should be flying by June.
That may sound slow but I went throw the plane with a fine tooth comb
and put on all new solo 210 engines.
Lazairkid B)
lazairkid
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:37 am

Well, Lazairkid, that sure makes me feel better!

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:07 am

Guys the quickest and cleanest way to remove the old tapes is to use a small 50 dollar steam cleaner. finish off with citrasolve and scotchbrite.
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:19 am

Ozzie speaks the truth. I saw his video on here and decided to give it a try. My wife already had one of those steam cleaners, but now I claim it as my own because it works like a charm. Along with that, I've been using Citrastrip to get the residue off. If you need to get tapes off then you definitely need to try this.

Thanks for the tip Ozzie,
Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:35 am

Yeah, Ozzie, I remembered the method you used but I don't have much access to things where I am (small southern town), and when I mentioned Citrasolve I would get something like "did you say Citrus salve? No, but we do have a fresh shipment of Indian River oranges though." So you see what I'm up against.
But I'm not going to give up, if I can ever catch one on QVC I'm gonna snp it up.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:30 pm

citrasolve is a brand name so look for citrus based gum removers.
it is made out of oranges so their on the right track. good hardware stores have something along this line. in the movie i was using way way to much steam. set up right and using the minimum amount of steam needed it is very clean way to remove the tapes. much better for your body than using mek ect.
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:37 am

3m makes a citrus type product .
It industrial cleaner made for acrylic adhesive removal.
spray it on........... waitd 5 mins and it justd about falls off.
the plastic scrubbers work well too after you scrape off the bulk of it.
takeoff the foam tape even easier.
it about 20 to $25 a can and you will need likely 2 cans per lazair.

The tedlar tape has incredable adhesive.

Sometimes it might be easier to make all new parts than strip it and less labour as well.
When done wash with water-- warm seems better.

Nothign esle will touch this stuff like MEK, acetone , gas etc. This is why tapes are so critical Green house tapes do not work like this as I think they use a silicon adhesive but i stand to be corrected.

Steam cleaner? yes sure , but 3m made the adhesive in the first place and this is how they clean their stuff.

Shorty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:18 am

I have never seen this product here. I'll ask my tape supplier next time. i just found the steam good to remove the tape so i can get to the glue. having a van full of the machines just makes it handy.
btw nice work with the d cells. OZ
ozzie
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Lazair Trivia