Prop covers

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby daffy1029 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:57 pm

Hi Everyone,
I just received some prop covers, for my GSC props, that I am using on my Lazair. They were designed and made by Karl. He did an excellent job, just from my measurements I gave him via e-mail. A perfect fit. Check out the picture. Thanks Karl.
Daffy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:35 pm

Hey Daffy,

I just found this post now! Thank you for the compliments. Sorry it took so long. I've been scrambling to get my plane bits together and get ready for the season, and haven't had too much time to check the site very well.

I have to admit that they look really nice on those blades. How is your plane coming along?

Blue skies,

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:09 pm

hi flyalaz,
I haven't got much done lately, because of the cold I am trying to shake off. I managed to work on the engines and I would have to say, if I didn't have your prop covers on, the new props would have been nicked here and there, because of flying wrenches and bumping into the props evertime I get up. :-) Doesn't hurt me as much now.
I found out that the pitch of my prop is going to be 38. This gives me 90 lbs static thrust at 6200 rpm with 44" dia prop. Pretty good for 14 HP! Times 2- that's 180 lbs thrust!! Very cool!
Daffy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:04 pm

thats 6200rpm in the engine, the prop goes through a 2.25 redrive. I was amazed at the pitch as well that its so high, but the redline on the solo is 6600rpm and engines in the static condition can't develop as many rpm's as they do when they're flying (as the prop gets unloaded), so we set the pitch to get a max of 6200rpm on the ground. sent in the "angle" number to GSC that was read off their blade-pitch-guage, and they came back with "that's 38" of pitch".

almost pulled the test stand over, it was a lot of thrust!
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:44 pm

With numbers like that, I think more people will be looking and asking! Hope your attach fittings are beefed up! You should start a proper thread with all the details of what you've done, and what you're going to do. You know, enquiring minds want to know and all that jazz.

I've raked my back on the p-tips once or twice, and I know what you mean. Really glad the covers are doing their job.

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Return to Re-Building tips and info