strut covers

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby darkhorse » Mon May 08, 2006 11:15 pm

:}
darkhorse
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 1:12 am

isen`t that something for you george to fabricate ?.
you have so much time over..........

ola.

Postby russell » Tue May 09, 2006 6:45 am

Dale K., back in the 80's, tested this theory and reported that from his tests they (tear drop shape) created more drag (on the Lazair) not less.
Dale, if I am putting words in your mouth, please respond.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby kiloone » Tue May 09, 2006 5:38 pm

Russell

I think we probably said that if you put them on at the incorrect angle they could cause more drag.

You should fly with tufts on the struts to see the proper angle before you install them.

Probably was a Lettair addressing this.

Dale
kiloone
Lazair Newbie

Postby Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 6:53 am

How do I make a tuft and what is it made of?

Postby JPXman » Wed May 10, 2006 2:18 pm

tape 4" of yarn about every foot along the strut, and see what angle the yarn takes while in flight, and that should be the chord line of your fairing.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu May 11, 2006 6:10 am

I've seen them for sale in a couple of places, but this is the only one that I can think of right now.

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/streamlinedfairings/1.html

4 eight foot pieces will set you back $170, but if you were to split the cost with another Lazairhead then the cost wouldn't be to bad. I've been thinking about the very same thing. Perhaps we should split a set.

Do you think that there is enough room for the aileron pushrods inside these fairings? I suspect that there is, but I'm only guessing. That won't be an issue on the Lazair II because the aileron controls are inside the wing instead of on the struts.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby bdiedenhofen » Thu May 11, 2006 8:05 am

I got some plastic fairings a few years ago from a company in Florida. I've been trying to find their name and contact info, but I've misplaced it. I suspect it's the same company that is providing the fairings for the Ultralight news store.

If so, the fairings came in two sizes. The larger one does fit over both the strut and the aleron tubes. I've done a test fit, but never got around to the final installation. Funny how other things always take priority and after two years, I still haven't found the time.

I just can't figure out a good way to attach them and still have them easily removable for inspections. I'm not too keen on drilling holes into the strut as I am concerned with how it will affect the strength.

Anyway, I have slipped it over the strut and it should improve the performance, and really looks good. Image is everything, so it's worth doing for that reason alone.

Incidentally, punch up a google search for "streamlined strut fairings". You'll find a page explaining how a fellow made his own for his Weedhopper. Pretty simple, probably a possiblility for someone with a series II.

Brian D.
bdiedenhofen
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Guest » Thu May 11, 2006 8:51 am

Post by darkhorse

Rans seems to have a better deal at a glance.
http://www.rans.com/s12spec.html
see other options at the bottom of the page.
Jury Strut Fairing Material $20
I'm in the planning stage so if you check into the rans alternative could you let us know?
I have to finish wing mods then select and acquire wing covering.

Postby russell » Thu May 11, 2006 6:23 pm

Sorry, when I said "Dale K." I was referring to Dale Kramer.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Return to Re-Building tips and info