Hidden problem

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby ozzie » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:24 am

G'day All, when i assembled my Lazair i noticed that the right wing tip was a few inches lower than the left. at the time i put it down to maybe low pressure in one tyre. i did not pay to much attention to it at the time. when i did my two test runs up the strip the roll rate to the right was a lot faster than to the left. So i kept looking at that wing and wondering why it so. I finally got it into my new shed and i looked some more until it finally sunk in that the leading edge on the tip had to be opened. So carefully peeled back the mylar and drilled out the top rivits and had a look inside. there in the last bay of the D cell i found the remains of a Mud Wasp nest. The little buggers had entered via the torn wing tip covering and gone into the D cell via the small jig hole in the metal rib and completly filled the void with compacted red soil and Opal dust, glued together with a epoxy like substance that they excrete. This must have happened during all those years that it had sat in Lightening Ridge, out west. When i dug it all out (like cement) it came to just over a pounds worth in weight. i have reassembled the wing but still have to reassemble the aircraft and check it. but feel confident that this was the problem. It is the start of the windy season at the moment and it will carry thru till the end of September, so i don't expect to do much if any flying, i will use this time to do some small fidderly things and build a new test stand with a spring scale and see how many of those old pioneer engines i can get running and finally see what thrust they put out.
I've noticed of late how quiet it has been on the site. must be that you are all out making the best of summer. So were are all the photos and vids guys. i need some motavating.. blue skies Ozzie B)
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 am

Hi, Ozzie. Yeah, it has been rather quite on the group, guess everyone has no problems lately. Dirt dobbers in my area are quite common, along with wasp nest, but nothing as big as the one you discribe. That's incredible. What condition is the aluminum beneath the nest? I had a lot of dobber nest on the outside surface of the D-cells of my plane, and underneath every one was a patch of corrosion the same size of the nest. It was the main reason I had to paint mine just to stop it because, as you know, it will finally eat it's way through and like rust, there's really nothing short of epoxy paint that will stop it.
Dale Kramer, back in the 80's, said that with both the Pioneers running at full throttle, they will develop about 75 pounds of thrust.

Good luck with your plane,
Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:12 pm

Hi Russell, there was some corrosion under the mud. i just treated it. the leading edges will have to be painted as well. it can wait a while. the weather is two cold for 2 pak. it will be interesting to see how much thrust there is. next year after some work on the house i will recommence work on another set of wings i have. i want to replace the skin with .020 and beef up the spar section and end rib as per the mods. i am going to remake the nose ribs from metal and bond them to the leading edges and maybe make some spoilers for it as well. ozzie
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:43 am

Ozzie,
Let the house work go and concentrate on the more important things like your plane! What's this modification you mentioned about the beefing up of the end wing rib?
Post the results of your thrust test, I would be very interested in knowing what you come up with.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:33 pm

Russell in one of the update files there is some instructions for a strengthing kit that involved fitting some small channells in between the rear spar lightning holes and a piece of alclad that is added to the root rib. this was in addition to the jury strut kit. i will definatly post the results of the thrust test when i get it done.

ozzie
ozzie
LazairNUT

Return to Lazair - General