D-cell

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby russell » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:21 am

Would someone tell me if there are ribs inside the tapered section (near tip) of the D-cell?

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:05 am

Absolutely!!!
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:39 pm

Yep....as a matter of fact I was just looking at mine today.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:22 am

If these skins get dents on top (not creases) about four or five inches in diameter and can be pushed back out from the inside, will that be a potential hazard? I'm sure that sounds pretty "duh", but I know nothing about airplane design.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:07 pm

Post some pictures if possible ? Typically when you get big dents in the D-cells they can't simply be pushed out. Often damage such as this is fixed by wrapping the damaged section of the skin with an overlying doubler. Of course a corresponding doubler is added to the other wing to make it look symmetrical. I know of many planes that have had "minor" D-cell damage covered this way.

Potential Hazard ? well anything is possible I suppose ? I'd say as long as the spar isn't buckled and ribs aren't fallen-broken-disturbed you would simply be making a "cosmetic" repair.

You don't have to be a designer to see that Ultraflight advised the " skin doubler" method to strengthen wings with .016 and .020 skins. This same method was used by many on a smaller scale to cover dents and light damage. Once done it all blends together and looks fine. This is especially true for a plane with painted D-cells.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby russell » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:07 pm

That's a good solution. I remember that Ultrflight said not to run engines larger than the Pioneers with the thin skin. The only difficulty I foresee is forming the pieces due to the fact that the dents are very near the tip where the D-cell is thin and has a very tight curve in it, but this may look harder than it will be.
I'm in the process of evaluating the damages to the entire plane before I decide what I'm gonna do, but so far it looks as though I might come out pretty light. It's amazinng just how tuff the Lazair is.

Thanks for the tip,
Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:31 am

How about some pictures of the damage Russell
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:19 pm

You bet. I'm going over to bring the wings back to the house this Sat. and take them down to a point that I can survey what unseen damage ther may be. I've already disassembled the fuselage (except stabilizers and ruddervators, they weren't invoved in the air show aftermath), but I can take shots of the bent pieces.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:27 am

this plane did not sell http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... AMEWA%3AIT maybe its still available for parts-
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:02 am

i'm not interested in this one, but its only about 6 hours away from where I live. if someone wants to buy it, i can go and get it and hold on to it indefinitely, or even completely disassemble it and ship it to someone.

it'll cost you a case of beer and whatever gas I put in my guzzler for the trip :)

Tyler
(this plane is in Alberta right near the montana border, I'm in edmonton)
JPXman
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Re-Building tips and info