How about a Lazair for

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby Shawn » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:04 pm

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Microsoft flight simulator. My primary interest with flight simulation is in CAD (computer aided design) and designing aircraft for use in the simulation. I would like to design a Lazair but to ensure it is as realistic as possible I am in need of photos and measurments from an actual Lazair. If anyone is interested in helping out with this project and could supply high quality photographs of their Lazair I would love to hear from you. I can be reached throught my e-mail address bishop_lund "at" yahoo.com just replace the "at" with @
Shawn
Lazair.com Member

Postby lazairiii » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:15 pm

Where you located?
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Shawn » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:06 pm

Williams Lake, British Columbia.

I've never modelled a semi-transparent wing before so I played around with it a bit tonight. It's much to transparent but that will be easy to fix. This is about an hours work and will probably be scrapped as the dimensions were just a guess, I think I guessed the wingspan at 30 feet? was I close? it looks like a big wing?

I will just keep replacing the screenshots as I progress so I don't end up with 30 posts on this subject.

Shawn
Lazair.com Member

Postby sparky » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:41 pm

36 ft wing span,would this be an add on for my Microsoft Flight Sim 04?
sparky
Lazair.com Member

Postby Shawn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:43 pm

You bet Sparky, it will be designed for Microsoft Flight simulator 2004 "A Century of Flight". I also have one of the best airfile Guru's in the business willing to create the flight dynamics for this model. Things like cruise speed, rates of climb, roll rates etc will all be as realistic as the limits of the simulator allow. The modelling is actually the easy part, it's getting the textures (paint) to look right. I'm not the most artistic individual so I prefer to use real photos to create photorealistic textures for my models wherever possible, hence the need for someone who is willing to take pictures of various parts and pieces as the model progresses.

36' you say, I guess it's back to the drawing board. :P
Shawn
Lazair.com Member

Postby sparky » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:53 pm

just post what you need and im sure someone will help out. you can get pics on the lazair yahoo group.
sparky
Lazair.com Member

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:09 pm

Shawn,

You have a really good idea in creating a Lazair for Flight Simulator. I don't know how deep you want to get into this, but there are several versions of the Lazair.

Series I
Series II
Series III
Series IIIEC (has a full enclosure. looks really cool)
Lazair II (two seat version)

They are all similar and the good news is that all have the same shape wing. The two-place is side by side so it just has a wider center section with the same wings for a total wingspan of 38'. Although I've got a two-seater, I would suggest a stock series III with rotax 185s for your design. The owners manual for the series III is readily available on-line to help you out too. Here's a pic of a stock series III.

If you need assistance you can always send me a PM,

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shawn » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:48 am

Thanks Dave, I'll do a little more research on the internet and then I'll get back to you with some questions via a PM. I haven't seen any 3 views or blueprints of a Lazair on the internet, I am guessing that there just not available?

Shawn
Lazair.com Member

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:46 am

Here this may help you out some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shawn » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:24 pm

The 3 view did help, thanks Dave. It's still a bit of a guessing game but I have managed to find a pile of photos to work from which helps quite a bit. From what I have been able to gather there are no two Lazairs that are identical.
Shawn
Lazair.com Member

Next

Return to Lazair - General