Aluminum Grain

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby lazairiii » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:40 am

Thanks Ola. As much as I truely do love to fly the Lazair, building is a big part of the fun and excitement for me. I've had, and continue to get a great deal of help, encouragement and support along the way too. This is just a great plane to own and fly!! And a great group of like minded folks to share the dream with. I enjoy being a part of it all.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:47 am

Thanks to all for the input. It's comforting to get such feedback. You're right George, great people.

George, I can see now that those fitting have one bend. My memory is rapidly fading over the years, which is a shame too, because people tell me I really did have fun! I guess that I'll buy a new piece which will have the grain exposed.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:20 am

.080 7071-T6 will work great, but if those brackets concern you at all, go to titaniumjoe.com and see what Joe has available in small sheet/plate stock in that thickness range. You would never have to worry about them again.

I just did a quick scan of his inventory and he doesn't have a small enough piece listed, BUT, measure the size you need to get all 4 pieces out of and call his phone number and ask him if he has a piece the size you need in the thicknees you need. He's a nice guy and will try to find what you are looking for.

Let us know what you come up with.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:02 pm

George,
Thanks for the web site address. The thickness of the material I have is greater than what came stock in the kit, so that's not the concern. The concern is formation of that 9 degree deflection in it and not knowing whether it's across or parallel to the grain. The radius is far, far greater than the 6 or 8 times rule. With this slight deflection, it may not be an issue anyway, it's just that I have a set of these fittings and they are polished so the grain is not evident. Perhaps I'm troubling over nothing.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:02 pm

Perhaps, but best to be safe than sorry. Do you have enough material to trim off a piece and bend test it? If not, then it may require you to aquire new material that is stamped.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:53 pm

The pieces have the bend in them already.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:35 pm

I see. If I were in your shoes, I'd start over just so I would have piece of mind...but that's just me.

Just an opinion...
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:03 pm

Yeah, I was leaning that way, but I just hated to toss these pieces. Oh well, they're not that hard to make. Thanks for your input, it helps me to get the opinions of others, I can be very indecisive at times.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:27 pm

Me too, but don't let a few dollars compromise safety...ever, that's all I'm saying.

Good luck!
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Re-Building tips and info