[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - My Series III is in Edmonton!

My Series III is in Edmonton!

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby xgary » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:56 am

TYler , Whatd kind of oil are was the engine been using prior to the seizures ?

Were they cold seizures ?
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:32 am

i was using Yamalube at a 40:1 mix.

this time, i'm using penzoil air cooled at 32:1 in the other JPXs i have running on my 2-seater. i figure the richer oil mix will keep them cooler and more lubricated, but i'll keep my eye on the plugs for fouling.

T.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:40 am

Is the yamalube mineral or synthetic?

also the fuel acts for cooling as well on a 2 stroke and a overly lean condition will not cool as well.

Were the engien fulll warmed up ?
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:31 am

yep fully warmed up, and the last one was at 200' :(

mineral yamalube, i stay away from synthetics and 2-smokers. haven't heard any good arguments yet about their advantages. i have a feeling there's a dried out gasket on the engine somewhere and is sucking in air leaning out the mixture.

same carbs on the other two JPX's on my 2-seater and they are running strong.

T.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:54 am

leaking crank seal will give you lean conditions.

you have a egt gauge now ?
If so that will be your first inidcator of pending troubles

PLugs actuallly tell the tale the best and EGT did give you a real time indication of changes in realtime.

Did the plugs indicate and differance from cylinder to cylinder and from engine to engine when it failed ?
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:04 pm

had just finished changing the crank seals. both plugs were white. suspecting something wrong with those reed valves now, but thats a project for after i rebuild the fuselage with george-made series III gear.

T.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:33 pm

white plugs normally indicate lean --VERY LEAN .
what did piston look like ?
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:33 am

yes thats how i knew it was seizure and not fuel starvation. white plugs bad - chocolate brown plugs good.

haven't gotten to that yet, like i said, probably a project for the spring. i'm knee deep in grinding and cutting aluminum to make my skiis. have one almost done, starting the other tomorrow hopefully. i'll have to take a pic of the scenery for the lads down under who've never seen a white landscape.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:51 pm

JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:14 am

a few pics of my first flight on skiis ever :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge