a little advice

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby rookie » Tue May 11, 2004 2:24 am

I've been toying with the idea for some time of getting an ultralight on floats for flats fishing the saltwater bays of Texas. How advisable is this and would the Lazair be the ideal plane? Thanks from a total rookie.
rookie

Postby lazair » Tue May 11, 2004 6:39 am

Sounds like Excellent Idea !!

Lazair
lazair
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Wed May 12, 2004 12:27 am

What performance limitations would you see in terms of distance, weather or any other question I should be asking?

And what about maintenance problems from the salt water?

Postby lazair » Thu May 13, 2004 4:15 am

Lot of variable there to performance, depending on many factors.

Are you a pilot alreay ?

Salt if not Aluminums best friend. Most salt water planes are built with protective coating on all parts.
lazair
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Fri May 14, 2004 1:00 am

Son is working on ppl but seems to have stalled out with work and senior year taking precedence. I'm thinking about taking his materials and doing it myself. Certainly would before I tried to climb in a Lazair and head out. The planning and dreaming I'm doing is long term (a year or two at least).

I realize saltwater is bad for everything mechanical. If I washed it down after each flight how bad would it be? Or is there something else better for a saltwater application? I wonder about needing something with a little more speed? If I get out there on the water and a breeze kicks up blowing the wrong direction, am I going to wish I had a little more? How far from the fuel pump am I going to want to venture?

Postby Guest » Fri May 14, 2004 1:04 am

Is this guy's setup with the redrives something I should consider advisable?

http://www.lazairforce.central5.com/

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:49 pm

Wow! The responses sure dried up. Was it something I said?

Postby ozzie » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:18 pm

hi guest, no it's not something you said. it happens this time of year when the sun returns to the north, i notice that things go quite on this site when they are not cooped up inside with snow piled on the door. don.t worry they are out flying.
as for salt water protection it is a continuing battle' i have worked on amphib beavers in the whitsundays on the great barrier reef. always spraying some sort of product on everything, and hosing them down with plenty of water and the weekley trip to the fresh water dam. land and then put the wheels down and taxy around for a while. another trick was to fly thru rain showers.
for somthing like a lazair i would look at powder coating everything inside and out and use cocky poo (duralac) on all the surfaces of the befor riviting them together plenty around the bolts. with the electrics i would make sure that everything was wired above earth ie isolated from the airframe including engine kill switch. as for range the lazair has good fuel economy compared to bigger powered machines. not hard to get 4 hrs plus on board. flying in strong winds is not to much of a big deal just your ground speed to consider as for rough air you will quitt before the airframe does. landing and getting it into the shed is more of a problem. pays to listen to weather reports including the boating ones carry a epirb for saftey and tell someone were you are going and give them a sar time.
hope this helps ozzie from down under
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:24 am

You sound like a man of immense experience and I will keep a record of your advice. Tell me, if my thought is to find the best flying platform for fishing the shallow coastal bays of Texas, am I on the right track?

Mark

Postby ozzie » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:09 pm

as you are in texas maybe you should contact www.texas-flyer.com he seems to know the area that you are looking at. he has heaps of adventures behind him and may be able to help you. OZZIE
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Lazair - General