My Series III is in Edmonton!

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby JPXman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:14 am

another
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:15 am

and another
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:15 am

yet another
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:18 am

and then the left engine quit - guess which plug was in the seized engine? the EGT was reading just above 1200F for most of the climb, i knew it was a bit hot, but when i did a low and over, on the climb out it conked out dead! i richened the mixture a half turn, and it flew fine at 1100F... it was also B9ES plugs that burned white, while the B8ES were nice chocolate brown...
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:20 am

and here was the landing spot for the forced one-engine landing. not too shabby! it turned around because i tried to taxi on one engine - i should have known better :)
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:21 am

and here she is all ready to go back in the barn. skiis worked really well, but the axle for the nose ski ended up bending up a bit, i'll have to figure out how to brace it better for support...
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby art » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:11 pm

COOOOOOOL Pics
art
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:23 am

G'day Tyler,
great shots. it is very rare to see flat areas covered in white down under, what snow we have is usually confined to the mountains.
how much humidity is there on a day like that? carb icing a problem?
I think i would have a problem with the cold tho.
ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:04 pm

humidity around these parts is around 50%. temp that day was +5C so icing was on my mind after the engine failure - however once i saw the spark plugs i knew it was too lean. the snow is almost all gone now, i doubt i'll get another ski flight in - i may try tomorrow evening.

one thing i am finding with the 2-seater is that (it may be due to my weight, ~270lbs) the right aileron is down about 1" while the left aileron is up a little bit. i figure this is because i sit off to the right side of the lateral CofG and so a little "right wing up" is required - but i'd like to trim the airplane off so that the ailerons are level while flying solo.... in conventional aircraft you can use shims to add twist to the wings to achieve this, but i am trying to figure out if this is possible on the lazair? a little more angle of attack on the right wing should do the trick, and a little less on the left. sure, when i fly with a passenger i'll need right stick input, but those flights will be few and far between. a non-draggy solution would be best, but perhaps i am trying too hard since the 2-seater is simply one giant piece of plywood being pushed flat through the air :) maybe just a trim tab will do :)

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon May 21, 2007 11:57 am

i'm in toronto right now, so if anyone is around and wants to get together, call my friends cell at 416-312-7157 - i have this afternoon free (was hoping to get to london, hint hint)

*update - mission accomplished! thanks shorty!
JPXman
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge