Source for Tedlar

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby xgary » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:28 am

the citrusoslve you mention is likely like the 3 m product as it is citrus based but high strength. You have to spray it on and wait fore a few minutes . It will loosone the adhesive right up and you can use a plastic scraper or back drag a steel one to not mark the aluminum. Use those plastic pot scrubbers too.
Srpay more on wash off with warm water. done. but you still need elbow grease.

It does not harm the foam ribs.
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:29 am

i will get a picture of the SKU on the can for youguys today...
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm

You better pack a big lunch because Tedlar has already passed a ten year test in florida where it was exposed to sunlight and in the elements and tilted at a 45 degree angle. Can't put my hands on that info source right now but perhaps someone else on here could recall.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:22 pm

G'day 1st knight. two lazairs lucky you,
I went down this path several years ago. if you think finding tedlar is difficult there try finding it here in Oz. In my search for a replacement i did the tests that you are looking at. i used several types of polymer products. from types used for food packaging, printing mediums, hothouse materials, even the types we print our money on. i made up small panels put them up on the roof and checked them every two weeks. it took less than a year before the polymer types used in the food industry failed completley. the glasshouse and material used for our money did a bit better. almost two years. the tedlar sample i used was a piece of leftover supplied with a kit. so it was pretty old before i used it. it lasted the longest but the tape failed. i found the tedlar impossible to find here so i went with mylar. i sourced an original roll from a lazair pilot in the USA. And this is in it's third year now and doing well. always stored and never left in the sun. But i sourced some from a new york company called Talas and ordered some that was a thou thicker than the standard type. This has been used on another lazair and seems much more stable.
it has less tendency to loosen off in the cold air. and shunk up much tighter. and has survived longer than the thinner type. the mylar may not last as long as the tedlar but it easily available with no questions asked. plus i just love the absolute clarity of it. I'll accept the shorter life and extra cost and time to recover when that comes.

Ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:22 am

you should put your wings on the other way on the trailer.

that is a lot of load on those wingtips at highway speed........
JPXman
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Re-Building tips and info