Props

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby Lspav8r » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Are the double props used with the Rotax 185's still available and if so how much to they cost for a complete set of 4?

Jim
Lspav8r
Lazair.com Member

Postby Shannon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:34 am

Hi Jim, You recently picked the Series 2 off Ebay with wing damage correct ?

The original props are not available. Custom wood or carbon fiber laminate props are available from Prince Props.
http://www.princeaircraft.com/default.aspx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Lspav8r » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Shannon @ Jan 19 2008, 11:34 AM wrote: Hi Jim, You recently picked the Series 2 off Ebay with wing damage correct ?

The original props are not available. Custom wood or carbon fiber laminate props are available from Prince Props.
http://www.princeaircraft.com/default.aspx

That would be the one. Yes
Lspav8r
Lazair.com Member

Postby Lspav8r » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:27 pm

I am going to have the motors gone through as well as a lot of other things on this plane. The price was right, actually traded rc stuff for the plane. I am going to go through the whole thing and restore it completely before flying it. Also I am a GA/UL/PPC pilot with over 450 hours. I do value my life more than most would think hehe. I have my share of dead stick landings and partially collapsed chute landing/crashes, so far so good:)

I probably should have bid on those two that were on ebay for spares. Anyway, if I buy Ptips for this plane do I just need two or do I need four?

JIM
Lspav8r
Lazair.com Member

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:46 pm

Jim,

You should just need two p-tip props instead of four of the "bi props". I haven't had any experience flying with them, but they are supposed to give you a significant increase in thrust over the bi props. Apparently it's the number one thng that you can do to increase the performance of your Lazair.

Here's a pic of some. Shannon, does that look familiar?

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:06 am

Yep, seen that before !

http://lazair.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=954 (Kitplane Article)
http://lazair.com/forum/index.php?showt ... &#entry509 (Factory Ground Adjustable Prop History)
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 pm

I really like what I've heard and read about the p-tip on the 185's. So much so that I am leaning towards getting some on my KFMs instead of ground adjustable Powerfin props. The company is familiar with Lazairs and with KFM (on Moni motorgliders) so they should be able to help me no sweat.

Jim, If I were you I would definitely go with the p-tips.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Don » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:39 am

Doesn't the added thrust increase the stress on the crankshaft? In one of the past threads I think I remember reading that P-tip props should only be used on the radioused crank engines or with redrives.

Don
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Shannon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:55 pm

Dave I don't think you will go wrong with P-tips. The freakin price is hard to get past however !

With the Moni's using them for a while now hopefully the best prop design (pitch/length) has been nailed down.
Shannon
SHANNON

Return to Lazair - General