[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - engines 28/lb-25hp

engines 28/lb-25hp

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby yankeflyer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:58 pm

That set up looks great -- I will have one half-inch for clearance between the inside of the disc and the spokes of the wheel. I will probably by the first calipers set up that will meet that requirement. I have the disc, they are exactly like the ones in your picture. I'll try to post picture of the disc on the wheels soon.

Still looking for options on fuel tanks. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... lTanks.php
http://www.air-techinc.com/catlist.asp? ... exclusives
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:41 am

do a search here for nalgene

or go to www.usplastics.com and search for "nalgene jerrican"

almost a spot on size match for the series II/III tank - i don't know about series I tank tho....
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby shorty_ » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:08 am

I have used just a red 5 gal gas can many times.
you have to move the one bracket behind the seat.
drill 2 holes into plastic lid on cap and insert lines..

Heck you can just pull it out when low ands drop in a premix tank in its place and drop in lines adn twist cap on.
Simple and cheap !!
Lazair Wing parts, Complete Lazair Wings and D cells .
New or repairs.
shorty_
Lazair.com Member

Postby yankeflyer » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:00 pm

got these on ebay for 80 dollars-be here next week
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Hey Joe,

Hey not to worry -- the bolts are grade eight and approximately three quarters of an inch in diameter and the steel that makes up the bent fork, is from a bridge spike, actually two bridge spikes. I'm sure that if there's a weak spot in the set up and design it is my welding but that gets better all-time. I guesstimate that the steel will take about 100 lbs. before it starts to be bend again.

I could take one of the fork's and Weld a socket to one end and use a torque wrench to see how much weight or force it took, before it would start bending again. But I feel confident that the set up is adequate to the task.

To be sure what I've done so far, is more proof of concept rather than a finished product. However I feel good about the structural integrity of the tail wheels and the rotary skid, although I must admit, if I were to do it again I would use the six-inch tailwheel I found at one of the sport and kit airplane parts suppliers, for my rotary skid.

I still plan to come up with some sort of footrest other than just the frame and may incorporate another brace to the rotary skid from the outside frame. Also there are couple other ways to reinforce the bent fork's -- either by a webbing trust type design /with or without the web, or simply a 2 in. piece of steel, the same size, welded to the fork at the apex.

It can't go without saying, that I do appreciate the critique and your interest in my project. In the short run I just want to fly the pioneers once so I can say I did it, after that I want to repower the lazair with a couple of the powered parachute engines that I've researched -- many great options there.

For the long run I hope this plane is going to be the platform for an electric powered Lazair.

The biggest single thing I've done that will enhance the performance of this airplane is to lose 45 lbs. since I bought the plane.

Right now I`m taking off the wings so I'm take off the main wheels to add the disk brakes.

Best regards

Miles
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Your plane looks great and I'm looking forward to following your covering process. When I repower mine I plan to upgrade and accessorize as most do towards the wider gear reinforced spar for larger engine and on and on and on...

It's going to be a great plane to fly.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:48 pm

"......i am going to install a pair of Spoilers similar to what Thomas has done to his Lazair Elite....."

The only thing that spoilers will do is add complexity to a Lazair without any tangible advantage. A well versed Lazair pilot can easily fly slow and spot a landing. Heck I've seen it done crossways on a grass strip that's only 50' wide (with a headwind). If you need a steep approach into a landing zone then a slip drop you down real quick too. Hmmmm, if it were a worthwhile mod then there would be more than just two or three of them out there.

If you just absolutely have to fly something with spoilers/airbrakes then I might suggest any number of products put out my Northrop Grumman or Lockheed Martin.

Just my opinion,
Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:01 pm

Rudder pedals would be a nice upgrade to my series one, though I'm looking forward to flying the aerocoupe style controls.

Spoilers --?

One afternoon at Arlington airfield in Washington state, 1987 a lazair - in the pattern - did a 180 right in front of the crowd, gathered at the front of the FBO office by the fire pit. During the turn, the inside wing, at one point the tip appeared to fly backwards.

This is going to be a exciting plane to learn -- soon my main focus will be weight and balance and any options I might have towards moving my seat, so that I could comfortably wear a helmet.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:56 am

Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Lazair - General