The illusive hole

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby russell » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:05 am

I need some suggestions on a method or tool to do a job on my rebuild. I have two flat plates which are separated by a tube. Sorta like a tube sandwich. Originally there was a hole drilled through one plate, through the tube and then out through the plate on the other side. I am replacing the tube so I need to drill through the existing hole in one of the plates, through the new tube, and out through the existing hole in the other plate. I have an idea on a homemade tool but would really like to have some suggestions. I just know that out of all of you and all the reconstruction of Lazairs that's gone on over the years that someone has came across this situation before.

Anyone?

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:17 am

Russell, I've had good luck on things like that when I made posterboard mock-up templates to work with. If you can supply a few pictures it may help create a few ideas.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby russell » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks Shannon, I should be able to take a couple this weekend.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:56 am

I tried to get these photo's on last week but my camera experienced a flmeout. No survivors. Anyhow, I didn't get much response from my earlier post so Shannon suggested a photo might help. I want to replace the axle tube which is between the two lower strut fittings. To do this without re-making the firttings would require some sort of method/tool to be able to drill through the tube using the existing holes in the fittings. Lining up with the hole in the rear fitting is the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to avoid making the fittings for the fifth time.

Russell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:59 am

There is also to be a chrome molly tube, not shown, going in the larger tube.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:03 am

Yeah, I'm trying to go through one existing hole, through the tube and out through the other existing hole. Drilling from each side would work if the tube wall was not so thick. Because of the thickness, if the angle of the hole through the wall of the tube is not exactly inline with the opposite plate the holes would not be "looking" toward one another. I know I'm not painting a very clear picture, but it's hard to put into words.
The device you posted, (works great for new holes) will drill a hole through a tube perpendicular and centered just fine but the holes that were orininally drilled were not drilled in a drill press or with such a device and are not exactly perpendicular to the fittings.
The principal of this device can; however, be used as a basis to design a tool. A possibilty to ponder.

Thanks
russell
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:40 am

just drill a smaller hole through the front and back using the gusset as a guide.

then use a slightly larger bit to "align" the holes

then use proper size drill bit to enlarge aligned hole.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:25 pm

That would be the simplest method. I'll do a practice run on some scraps I have laying around. Finding the exact center of the existing hole in the fittings might be a little difficult.

Thanks Tyler
russell
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Russell the pics help.

Questions... Are the wing attach plates in the pics to be reused ? Is the tube running upwards (I gather that's the down tube) going to be reused ? Basically the only thing you are going to be doing is drilling three new holes (on each side L&R) in the new axle tube correct ?
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby russell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:30 pm

Yeah, I'm keeping everything in the photo except for that piece of thick wall axle tubing pointing to the camera. Three holes through the tube are all.
russell
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Re-Building tips and info