engines 28/lb-25hp

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby yankeflyer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:13 pm

a little progress on the brakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:11 pm

The brakes are looking good! Decent quality bike disk brakes sure have come down in price lately, and should work very nicely. You might want to check out another bike part that's available now that you will really appreciate come summer. Planet Bike makes nice, inexpensive plastic fenders that can help keep you from getting tire burns from those nice knobby tires on your series 1 (BTDT): http://ecom1.planetbike.com/rec1000a.html Look for the fenders made for recumbent bikes.

It's nice to see a series one getting all this attention, as it seems that most people spurn them for the later models. I predict that the lightest of all Lazairs will soon become quite sought after as electric conversions begin to emerge from people's workshops, and capture the spotlight.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:48 am

more pics - fenders OK - I can see them Chappy -- the last series 1 -- in red and gray.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:37 am

It's nice to see a series one getting all this attention, as it seems that most people spurn them for the later models. I predict that the lightest of all Lazairs will soon become quite sought after as electric conversions begin to emerge from people's workshops, and capture the spotlight.

Chappy

Any bets on if we see Dale Kramer emerge with an electric one ? :)
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:55 pm

Just wondering if anyone has heard more from the Brit who is part owner of a Lazair that is going to be modified to battery. he joined and then quickly left the other yahoo group last month? efforts to contact him have come to nought.
ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:02 am

Shorty, I suspect that if Dale was going to build an electrically powered Lazair, he would have done it by now. Several other parties have voiced interest in fitting a Lazair so, including myself. All the technology to do it is out there right now. Although price to complete hasn't come down very much in the last couple of years, the potential performance and reliability level has risen quite a bit. I know exactly how I would go about it right now, but having been brutalized financially over the last year by the real estate market (or lack there of), I just can't justify going ahead with the project to myself, and especially my family. I do hold out hope that my situation will improve, but if not, I'm sure others will/are moving ahead with this project, and we should see one emerge very soon. I looked at this a couple years ago (and so were other people) and I determined that we were still at least one generation away from the motors and batteries needed to design a practical, usable system that would satisfy me. That no longer applies, as suitable motors, controllers and batteries are now off the shelf items! I have never been motivated to do it just to be the first. If and when I decide to actually do it, I want a system that will be practical and provide me at least a few years worth of use before feeling that I need to start upgrading expensive things like the batteries. One thing that has surprised me is that several other Ultralight vehicles, far less suitable for electric propulsion than the Lazair, have been used to do it. Someone that owns a Lazair is already well positioned to build one of the most successful e-UL's ever.

Steve, I also wonder how they are doing. Unfortunately, I feel that they are off on the wrong foot due to their motor choice (assuming they will be true to the Lazair and use a twin configuration with those big motors).

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:02 am

unfortunatley here in Oz there isn't much that is "off the shelf" it seems easier to convert something more conventional like a Jabiru or RV or a small model but around the size/power to convert the Lazair there seems to be a big gap. reading spec sheets and looking at photos are not the same as holding it in your hand. the chinese prototype is holding my attention, see if they do go into prodution.
like you Chappy we are feeling the real estate pinch as there has been a flow on effect here from the US prime morgage saga. plus our inflation rate is getting up there. 3 interest rate rises over the last few months see us at around 7.5%+ fortunatly we only have about two years to run with ours. i feel sorry for those who just bought a house in Sydney average is around 450,000.
So maybe a research trip to Airventurethis year maybe on the cards. i gottta do this soon
ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:59 pm

Speaking of off-the-shelf, I got my calipers -- they have a nice weight to them, if I build a good strong mounting system, they will be adequate.

I certainly agree about not doing the electric motor , just to be the first one. But as we all know almost all the technology is on the shelf and ready to come off. Like these calipers fit in just a perfect niche in the ultralight series one lazair world.

I know I've taken the wheels off the something that was harder than taking the wheels off a lazair one, I just can't remember what it was.

I sure am getting to use my plasma cutter and wire feed welder a lot, for a ultralight airplane project. I have just lucked into a place where there's lots of raw materials, to supply projects just like this.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Another view
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:53 pm

[the chinese prototype is holding my attention, see if they do go into prodution.]

Hey Ozzie

got a web address so I can see the prototype ?? :ph34r:
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Lazair - General