[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - Moving a Lazair Sideways

Moving a Lazair Sideways

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:05 pm

In order to fit my Lazair into a t-hangar with other aircraft I needed a way to move it sideways. Over the years I have seen some interesting ways to move ultralights like that and here is a dolly that I came up with based on my needs.

I figured that it needed to be:

1. very manueverable.
2. capable to moving on both pavement and grass.
3. easy to use.

As you can see, I based my design on one of those automotive creepers for working under a car. That keeps the need to lift the Lazair to a minimum. Each of the wheels is castering and has tubes/tires large enough to work on grass. When the Lazair is in the hangar I plan to keep it off of this contraption to reduce pressure points on the wheels/tires.

So far it has worked very well. I anticipate that once the engines are on board that it will be significantly heavier so I plan to make some small ramps to pull it up onto and off of the dolly.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Here's a pic with the plane all strapped in. I've found out that it moves quite nicely without the straps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:11 pm

One last pic. This dolly is eight feet long, naturaly it could be made shorter for a single place.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:33 pm

The wheels are Azusa nylon 5" wheels. You can get them most any place. Aircraft Spruce had the best price when I bought them last fall.

I would like to have kept it with the orignal rotary skid type wheels, but the Lazair II spends a significant amount of time on it's front wheels while on the ground. My old wheels were falling apart from 20 years of exposure to the sunlight and they could never take the pavement at it's new airport.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Don » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:16 pm

Very nice! Alot better background than the first photos we saw!
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby huronflyer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:37 am

That is cool Dave.
My Lazair friend here has a pair of dollies he uses
to get his plane in on an angle.
Also another friend puts his planes in sideways, using dollies
similar to yours.

the other Dave
CYEL
C-IIII
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:47 pm

uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Return to Lazair - General