spares for damaged Laizair in the UK

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby mickbroom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:37 am

Hi all,
I am trying to get flying a Lazair which suffered damage on landing after a engine out. A high crop put it on its back. I am looking for parts to replace the front assembly on the front of the boom as the F9 bracket has failed.
There is also damage to the D section on one of the wings which hopefully can be sorted but the covering will then need replacing so any help in finding the material and advice would be apreciated.
Mick Broom
UK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mickbroom
Lazair.com Member

Postby huronflyer » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Mick,

I think I remember a "Broom" from one of the other
forums a few years ago.
If that is you, welcome also and welcome in any regard.

Hopefully we can be a tight supportive group here.

Man I would love to fly a Lazair over your countryside!

Dave
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:52 am

Hello Mick,

E-mail me directly and let's see what we can do to get you back in the air.

George

gcurtis@aspenpress.com
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby mickbroom » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:05 am

Hi All,
Thanks for the response and comments which I have tried to reply but new to this am not sure if you will get anything.
If you don't recieve anything I will try again.
Its nice to know there is still a following for the plane which has many fans still in this country.
Hopefully now we can fly with less restriction in the UK we can get them all back in the air.
Thanks
Mick
mickbroom
Lazair.com Member

Postby Shannon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:32 am

Hi Mick,

How's Dave ? If you can place some pictures of the plane here. This may help render some specific rebuild ideas and opinions. You are also very fortunate in that many new replacements parts are available right now. This is something we could only dream about just a few short years ago. Thanks to the efforts of a dedicated few the task of repairing or rebuilding a damaged plane is much easier.

Shannon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby mickbroom » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:08 am

Hi Shannon,
Dave has been flying my Shadow in the competitions for the last few years and last year came back with a very very close second place. He has just started his own flying school so will not have as much time for the comps. It is good to know that more parts are around for the Lazair as its such a nice plane. The difference in the UK now is that anything below 115Kg and 10Kg per Mtr wing is unregulated as far as construction goes which helps a lot in getting the plane in the air.
I will post a picture of the damage when I can. Its getting towards spring and we are very busy fixing bikes at the moment.
Mick
Picture of the Shadow and Dave over Portugal
mickbroom
Lazair.com Member

Postby mickbroom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:07 am

Hi,
Slowly getting the hang of posting things on this group so here is the picture I should have posted first.
If someone can supply the assembly that would be good but if someone can confirm the material ( my guess HT30TF ) and the rivet specifications I can sort it myself.
The only problem is I usually need to buy 500/1000 rivets to get the handful I need.
Also could someone tell me the proper size and specification of the rivets holding the wing leading edge alloy sheet on as I need to remove it for internal inspection and knock out a dent next to the engine position.
Many thanks.
Mick
mickbroom
Lazair.com Member

Postby mickbroom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:16 am

Just as I thought I had mastered the system the photo will not load :angry:
error message--- You cannot upload this type of file
its a jpg ????
mickbroom
Lazair.com Member

Postby Shannon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:08 am

Hi Mick,

I moved the topic thread for you here to the rebuilding section rather than in the Want ads section. Your pictures are uploading fine and you can add more to your own new topic thread.

Glad to hear Dave is doing fine and love the pic of your Shadow.

Looks like you will need to remove the front attach fitting assembly from the boom and fit it with a new F-9. There is also a modification that can be made to the front fitting to prevent clevis rotation as well as an additional bracket that can be placed to reinforce F-9.

Here's some front assembly related info.
http://lazair.com/forum/index.php?showt ... &hl=rivets
http://lazair.com/forum/index.php?showt ... #entry5874
http://lazair.com/forum/index.php?showt ... #entry2970
http://lazair.com/forum/index.php?showt ... #entry4115

http://lazair.com/forum/index.php?showt ... #entry3240(B-7 Bushing Doubler)

Rivet info:
http://lazair.com/forum/index.php?showt ... &hl=rivets
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby mickbroom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi Shannon,
Thanks for the information, most useful.
I will probabaly do the mod for the rotation but am not sure of the extra bracket.
Ours failed because of a crash, are they known for failure during normal opperation on the mk 3. if not then what do you think about a slightly thicker plate
This plane is as supplied in the early 1980's so is there any other area where I should pay attention and any mods to make it last another twenty years?
Our intention is to put a few hours on it this summer and due to lack of spares over here for the engines might fit an alternative.
I am not going down the route of electric power like my mates model.
Mick
P.S. Busy getting up to speed on things Lazair!
mickbroom
Lazair.com Member

Next

Return to Re-Building tips and info