Flight performance & turbulence

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby Ray » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:01 pm

Im looking into restoring a Lazair II, for the purpose of doing some pleasure flights and taking advantage of the great thermals and convergence here in Lake Elsinore, CA.

Im a former glider pilot and PG pilot.

How responsive is the Lazair to airleron inputs?

Will it be fine for flying in thermals and turbulence, with enough control response?

Will it be comfortable to fly in these conditions or a major handfull?

Looking for some feed back from some pilots who have experienced the Lazairs flying qualities.
Ray

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:47 pm

Ray, you say Lazair II. Do you mean Series II or Two Seater. "Lazair II" designates a Two-seat.

Postby rayjb60 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:45 pm

I meant the Series II single seater.
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:22 pm

there has been no recorded inflight failure of a Lazair. they are quite capable of thermalling. ridge soaring ect. with the light wing loading care should be taken with mechanical tubulance. the wing is very strong. although i would avoid boomer days. you will possibly quit before it does.
i have tracked down a few lazairs that have been removed from the ultralight register and are now owned by glider pilots here in Australia.
i myself back in 1982 had a height gain of 2,500ft plus engines out and i don't fly gliders as such. so in the hands of the someone who knows how to do it right could produce some outstanding flights i belive.
you never never know ,unless you give it a go. steve
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:59 pm

The controls work fine. Nearly as fast as you can move the stick the wing will respond. Not "Snappy" by any means but excellent none the less. Pitch is more responsive than roll, no problem there.

You should have no problem thermaling. Of course you need to use common sense for a craft this light and long winged. If you get into trouble in bad turbulence it was your error in judgement that got you there. A number of years back there were several Lazairs pilots that did a lot of ocean shore gliding. According to the accounts the guys were able to get some amazing altitude gains.

Return to Lazair - General