Tubing Spec

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby russell » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:13 pm

Back several months ago, Dale Kramer was answering some questions we had about the specs on the materials he used. As I recall he said that all tubing was 6061-T6. I want to replace one of the aileron control tubes. The one inside the wing which connects the mixer assembly to the bellcrank at the aileron. Seeing as how this tube is in hardly any stress do any of you think that it could safely be made using a different grade of tubing? The reason is that the 60601-T6 is not available to me within a reasonable travel distance and the freight on one 1/2" x 12 ft. piece from Aircraft Spruce is $156.00. The tube is only 12 bucks! I live about 250 miles from them, but would really rather not travel that far. All input will be welcomed.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:20 pm

Thanks for the tip on the price matching. I've got a list that would warrant the trip I guess, it's just that I hate to spend 3.75 for a gallon of gas! Where are you located?

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:16 am

How about buying two shorter (say two 8' lengths ~ $20+ship) sticks of 6061 T-6 and joining them together with a tube plug. You could have someone machine you out new threaded plug ends for the BE's and make a 4-6" "joiner" plug for the splice.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby russell » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:24 am

That's the situation I have now. It was bent rather sharply during the original assembly. I just thought that while I had the Tedlar off I'd replace it.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am

I'm not clear, what is the situation you have now ?
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby russell » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Two pieces joined together with a tube plug.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:33 pm

OK, I understand you have two joined tubes. I'm still not clear however on the " It was bent rather sharply during the original assembly" thing ?? This is where pics come in handy to show what's going on.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby russell » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:59 pm

Back in '80 as I was taking all the pieces out of the crate it was shipped from Canada in, this one aileron tube became caught up in the crate and was bent about in the middle at about a 30 degree angle. Enough to cause a week place when straightened back out. At the time I could not find any replacement tubing and for Dale to ship me another would be out of the question. I was so anxious to get my new Lazair into the air that I just couldn't wait it out anyway.
Anyhow, I had to cut the damaged section out and put it back together with the method you discribed. I didn't take any pictures as it was being assembled. I wish now that I had, but to be truthful, it never crossed my mind. I was just focused on getting to solo for my very first time. And boy did I ever! I fired that bad boy up and rolled out to do a crow hop or two to get the feel of things, but just as I cleared mother earth a crosswind came up and weathervaned me. I was afraid to let it touch down for it would probably damage the landing gear and possibly the wing, so I pushed full power and away I soared. Flew around the airfield for several laps and (beginners luck) made a perfect two point landing. That wasn't because of my flying skill, but rather a testimony as to how beautifully the Lazair flys. I've always said that if you leave it alone it'll fly itself. The pilot is far more unstable than the plane. Oh, yeah, as I soared into the air I had to pass over my pilot friend (who flew the Lazair for it's maiden flight) and several on-lookers. They made a mad dash for the hangar. I later was told that my pilot friend turned to the others as I went overhead and said, "I had a few more things I wanted to tell him first"!
Sorry, this really belongs in the "Pilots Lounge" catogory. I got carried away. My appologies.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:19 pm

Haa Haa, that's OK, I'd rather read a flying tale vs. some rebuild stuff any day. I've seen ruddervator pushrod tubes ( 1/2" large type) spliced together and it looked-worked just fine. The tube plug/splice method is surely as strong or stronger than the existing BE plugs (metal type) riveted into the ends of the pushrod tubes. Just think of the side fuselage tubes which are......spliced together !
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby yankeflyer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:56 pm

made me laugh good story :P
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Re-Building tips and info