Lazair II

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby yankeflyer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:47 pm

uscgairdale @ Jan 17 2008, 10:41 PM wrote: The white on red scheme was something that I made up on the fly. I couldn't find any clear tedlar tape so I made the white tape look like I used it on purpose.

I couldn't find any clear tedlar tape so I made the white tape look like I used it on purpose.

Hey Dave , got a address for that tape.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:28 pm

I got all of my tapes from Mike Fithian at Falcon East. He's a super nice guy and will be familiar with what you need. He admits that he sells more supplies for Lazairs than his beloved Falcons.

http://www.aerofalcon.com/homepage.htm

Since we're talking about tapes I'll bring up something that Shannon recommended to me. Instead of painting the ribs you can use some metal foil tape to give an aluminum look to the foam ribs. When the sunlight hits the ribs it's impressive. Anyway it's something to think about. Most any home improvement type store will carry that tape.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:53 am

Glad you are happy with your decision Dave. While we are on the subject I'd highly advise you to place capstrips on the bottom of your ribs. My recommendation is to closely mirror the job George did on his plane. You appear to have a really nice covering job and the strips put on right will really finish it out.

I can't speak for other proposed methods but covering the ribs with quality foil tape has lasted long term (25years) on the plane below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:36 am

I would not argue with anyone for a second that simply painting the ribs is quick, light, and cheap. Like everything on the Lazair it's absolutely a personal decision on the best routes to take. I personally like the look of foil ribs.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:45 pm

I definitely want to put some capstrips on the bottoms of my wings. They are on the back burner since I am focusing on dialing in my engines right now.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:59 pm

I finally ran my KFMs today. I stilll need to fine tune the carbs, but they seem to run well. I'll get some video of them running next time. For now here is a picture of what they feel/sound like....
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:23 pm

Here's how a KFM engine sounds.....

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=32731582

I used my digital camera to get the footage so the sound is not the best. You will also see that my tach is not working. I had just changed out the carbs from a Mikuni pumper to the Delloroto OVC, The OVC carb is definitely giving me easier starting and is supposed to have better fuel economy.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:44 pm

sounds so smooth! and the engine doesn't shake at all! what is the min/max rpm you are getting?

do you have a link for your new carb, i'd like to read about it. the green/yellow/red arc on the EGT - is that KFM specified temp limits? i run my jpx around 1100-1150F and it leaves the plug nice and brown.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:38 am

Unfortunately I don't know my exact rpms because my tachs aren't working right now. I may just take a handheld phototach with me the next time I run them. As for the placarded temps, those numbers are right out of the installation and operation manual.

The OVC carb is not anything new and was standard on later KFM 107Es and the 30HP 107 Maxi engines. According to Don Black, the owner of KFM, it was developed/tooled from another Delloroto carb specifically for the company and the KFM. The only adjustment on the whole thing is an idle speed screw so it's simplicity is nice, but finding parts for them can be hard. Here you can see one on a 107 Maxi.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:05 pm

I'm working on getting a second VDO tach that was specifically made for KFM. I don't really have to have them for my engines, but it would make for a really nice touch to my instrument panel.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge