[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - Serial Number location?

Serial Number location?

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby Ray » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:37 pm

I just acquired a 90% complete Lazair Series 1 I think.

Where would the serial number be located?

I got it from Rick Homes in AZ, who apparently bought it
as a kit from Saddler, of Saddler Aviation (Vampire UL).
Ray

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:04 am

The planes were not equipped with Serial number plates as far I know. If any were it was on the last kits made or some sold in Canada.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:54 am

Several ways to tell what series you have is to know whether you have the narrow gear (26inches wide) where the wing struts come down on the outside of the wheels, or the wide gear (46 inches wide) where the struts come down over the top of and inside of the wheels. Does the stick come down from the top (straight stick or curved), small push rods or larger 1/2 inch push rods to the tail. Do you have swivel tail wheels, straight wheels or skids. Is the leading edge skin .016" or .020". Rotax 185's or Pioneer engines.

Answere these questions and we'll know which model, and the serial number won't matter.

Serial number 1-somewhere in the 250-300 range is a series I I believe.
Serial number 300 up to 700ish is probable in the series II range.
Serial number 700ish up should be in the series III range.

You said he had three Lazairs. Did you get any of the others? Also, did you get any spare parts etc? Sounds like a great deal. What did you pay for a 90% built Lazair?

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:24 pm

My Lazair is one with the wheels inside of the frame verticles and strut attachment,
but has a curved control stick.

I figured it was likely a series 1 but perhaps a little later in the production.

It came 90% complete, I need to build and attach the wing root covers and tail root cover, and then recover it since the Tedlar is probably 20 years old, sitting in a hot trailer in Phoenix all this time.

I paid $2k for the trailer and plane. No extra parts. Engines never been started.

I've notice the decompression valve is sticking a bit and need to be worked free, but there is virtually no corrosion on the engines, and Im debating whether I should even tear them down or not before trying to start them.

The builder was Rick Homes, a very nice guy indeed.

He apparently bought his unbuilt kit from Sadler of Vampire aircraft fame.

Perhaps Sadler was using it for ideas for his own project.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:29 pm

The other two Lazairs in Phoenix were bought from a different person, who was taking care of a deceased pilots estate. The guy died flying a Trike.

It was a trailer + a Series 1 and a Series 2 with a pair of 185's and one or two other engines for $3200

A guy in Utah bought those as I was driving to Phoenix on friday.

Postby Chappy » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:36 am

Sadler was a Lazair dealer for some time before designing and selling his Vampires. He also modified his personal Lazairs quite a bit, and I think he marketed some of his mods. IIRC, he offered a conversion kit to switch the Lazair over to tricycle gear. He wasn't the only person to do this. I personally think it's a terrible idea, but each to his own.

Ultraflight did not supply serial number plates or decals, at least up through 1984.

If the engines have truly never been run, they may be OK, but Ultraflight used to test run the Pioneers before shipping them out. It sounds like you may have them, so the carbs may likely need rebuilding. If you have Rotax 185's, the capacitors (so called condensors) in the ignition systems may very well be bad by now. If you get a week or no spark, they are probably the culprit.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby lazair » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:42 pm

Post a picture.
sounds like a SER 1

Pioneers?

Lazair

PS serial numbers were made by builder and installed on fireproof plate usually.
lazair
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:06 pm

My Lazair has Rotax 185's.

But I suppose they would test run them at the factory, so that would be the only time on them.

If there is any trace of fuel in the carbs, left over from the test run, they will likely be gummed up, but Im thinking they probably blew the fuel out of the carbs so they would not leak fuel during shipping.

I guess I should just try to start them up and I'll deal with the problems as they arise.

But those hints about the condenser and carb will help me know where to look first.

I appreciate the advice and tips.

Anyone know of Tedlar sources?

Postby Ray » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:07 am

Ray

Postby Thats A323....actually..ooops » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:30 pm

Thats A323....actually..ooops

Return to Lazair - General