Lazair II

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby yankeflyer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:56 am

Plastic wheels -if my disk were to get hot enough to melt plastic, my braking system would simply fall apart. :ph34r:
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:40 pm

dave,

when it comes time to redo the wheels on my II, I plan on getting some wheel halves sandcasted out of aluminum before that time comes. I figure i can turn down the plastic hubs on a lathe to make them a bit thinner/lighter, then cast those and beef up the area that always cracks with some putty or something for the cast.

aluminum wheels is the way to go on a lazair II. The one that shorty rebuilt has aluminum wheel halves and I think joe happened across some as well. maybe he can sell you those and get you going :) :)

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Yea....I just decided a short time ago to go for aluminum wheels. I'll keep you posted with how that goes.

For now I am brainstorming ways to make a temporary brace just above the seats to prevent the "A frame" from moving while I perform the wheel replacement procedure. It would be nice to keep the wing struts still attached, but I doubt that I can pull that off.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:07 am

shorty has done it and it worked fine. big time saver.

if unsure though, just take a day and do it the easy (time consuming) way.

its only 60 or so bolts to take off to change a wheel on a 2 seater :)

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:49 pm

I finally got my brakes in the mail today and I've already got one mounted to one of the Azusa wheels. So far this mod is looking sweet. I'll keep everyone posted on how well they work.

I'd post a pic, but that feature is not working right now.

Later,
Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby lazair » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:42 am

Guys,

We are working on this issue right now
Seems like something has messsed up and wecannot find it yet.

Soon hopefully.............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazair
LazairNUT

Postby lazair » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:45 am

Ok guys try now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazair
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:46 am

Here's pic of my brake mod. I've already spotted some ways to make them better, but so far things look real promising.

Dave

Admin, thanks for the quick response.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:08 am

Wow now thats a big picture,ya same disc and calipers that Im using. Making the mounts to bolt to the plane frame is what took me the most work to do.

and your disk to wheel looks good - my next wheels will need a metal hub and or rim
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:22 pm

It was a lot of work, but I've now got my new wheels on the plane. The brake calipers still need to be bolted on though. I am very happy with these new wheels and I love the fact that it all still has the stock look.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge