New Lazair Owner

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby nightwave51 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:14 am

Hi Lazairheads!
I am the new owner of a SeriesII. I just got back from picking the A/C up in Gimli, Manitoba. Man, was it a long haul from North Bay, Ont!!! - 3600km round trip. The guy I bought it from was very helpful and I managed to trailer it back without incident or damage. The trailer I built worked flawlessly.
If anyone is considering trailering across Ont, I highly recommend following the south shore of Lake Superior through the US. The highways are flat, smooth and little traffic - the exact opposite of the Canadian side. Customs was no hassle. Crossing back into Canada at the Sault, they didn't even ask me to open the trailer!!
The Lazair was ground-looped and has damage to T22, T15 and T45. The previous owner said the tubing is all T6 aluminum, but I seem to remember someone posting that the tubing was a more exotic alloy. If anyone knows the answer, I sure would appreciate some guidance. Also the fairing sustained considerable damage. I hope to have the rebuild complete and be flying by the end of the summer.
Much thanks to Shannon and Tyler for their words of encouragement when considering what type of A/C to go with.
Mark
nightwave51
Lazair.com Member

Postby jb88ci » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:26 am

the tubing is 6061-T6...mine still has the mfr's marks on it. How do you plan on bending the T15???

I'm putting the finishing touches on a tubing bender today...i need to do the T14 and T15....I'll let you know how it worked....
jb88ci
Popular Lazair Member

Postby nightwave51 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:56 am

Wow! Talk about fast service! I sort of planned on packing the tubing with sand, then making a plywood jig with the correct radius and hoping all will go well when I bend it. I have no experience at bending tubing, so let me know how it goes for you - I hope not to go through too many pieces of tubing while learning if I can help it.
Mark
nightwave51
Lazair.com Member

Postby dachehuit » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:58 pm

Hi,

I have a little experience bending tube ( I have worked a couple years as an electrician ).

One thing that is good when bending is to pull AWAY from the point where the tube is restricted/atached, and not push toward that point.

I know this is not very clear, but, once the tube is in the guide, start the bend and then continue as if you wanted to stretch the tube while bending it. This should keep wrinkles and breaks from happening.

As for filling with sand, it might very well be a good thing but I really have no clue, out of curiosity, do you know what it is supposed to accomplish?

Hope this helps some.

Let us know how it went.

Thanks

Dache
dachehuit
Lazair.com Member

Postby nightwave51 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:30 pm

The idea (I don't know how well it will work) of the sand is it fills the tube, making it a lot more difficult for the tube to collapse/kink. It may be a while before I get to try my hand at it, but if others have done it there must be a way!
Mark
nightwave51
Lazair.com Member

Return to Lazair - General